FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on buying Mac Book Pro for Video Editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Samuels
Advice on buying Mac Book Pro for Video Editing
on Jan 30, 2012 at 3:37:19 pm

Hi.

I'm on the verge of buying a MBP for HD video editing/Motion Graphics/Compositing work at home. The upgrade options offered by Apple have me a little stumped at what to choose for the best.

I don't need the fastest most impressive machine in the world but I would like one that doesnt have me going insane waiting for things to render and able to run FCP, Photoshop & After Effects at the same time without it grinding to a halt.

The base model I am looking at has these specs:

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Would this be enough for my needs or would you reccomend upgrading anything?

Thanks for any advice anyone may be able to offer.

Stuart.

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
Re: Advice on buying Mac Book Pro for Video Editing
on Jan 31, 2012 at 1:36:34 am

I bought a little 13 inch 3 months ago with basically the same specs you posted. I am a hobby level at home editor. That said, I get some jobs and make them blu ray. I have to say, this little machine with the sandy bridge is right on the money for speed and ease of handling the load. If I were a full time editor, I would spare no expense for the best of the best. I have a 6 month old 27 inch imac quad core with same basic stats, the MBP is quicker and I can take it and my drives in a very small bag and get stuff done.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:37:04 am

You can get by with that but AE and any graphic app wants as much RAM and processor as you can give it. You definitely should get at least 8 GB of RAM and put a 7200 RPM HD is it. Then if you can afford a faster processor go for it. It will pay off with faster rendering and more fps playback.

Do you need portability? If not get a iMac and you can add more RAM and a faster processor.

Return to posts index

Stuart Samuels
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:54:56 am

Thanks for your help.

Would I notice a big difference between the 5400rpm and the 7200rpm hard drive?

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Feb 2, 2012 at 11:26:33 pm

7200rpm is a worthwhile upgrade.

Also, make sure you get at least 8gb of RAM. You might do a bit of research, I'm pretty sure the Macbook Pros now accept 16gb of RAM, although Apple doens't offer a 16gb upgrade for some reason. You can buy a 16gb kit from a 3rd party and upgrade yourself for about the same price as you can do an 8gb upgrade from Apple. Final Cut Pro 7 will do okay with 4gb, but Adobe's Creative Suite will really come to life with extra RAM.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]