FORUMS: list search recent posts

Back ups for FCP projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barbara Santi
Back ups for FCP projects
on Jan 29, 2012 at 1:41:23 pm

Hi - can someone tell me what the best way to backup fcp projects is?

I have a number of large projects (750 gb - 1.5 tb) which I work on individual exteranl hard drives. I want to back up ONLY when I tell it to (ie when I have made changes). So I just want the changes backed up each time. Copying / pasting to an external hard drive just deletes whats backed up previously and starts from scratch and takes up loads of time.

Time machine doesnt do the job as it just fills up the hard drive even when I select whats to be backed up (spoke to Apple - they said it wasnt what I should be using) - I dont want the backups working in the background. Just want backing up when needed - any ideas for backup software? Ive been told I need an incremental back up but cant find this online.

Any advice appreciated
thanks
Barbara

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Back ups for FCP projects
on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:59:27 pm

[Barbara Santi] "Copying / pasting to an external hard drive just deletes whats backed up previously and starts from scratch and takes up loads of time."

If your just trying to backup your most current work on a particular edit, and all your capture file's and other media are already copied to your backup drive, all you need to do is copy the project file. No need to over-write all of your original media every time, unless your making changes to those files themselves. If you have new files that need to be backed up, copy them over too. Depending on your project, managing a backup manually can be a challenge...

Time Machine should work though. For example if you have a 1TB drive that contains one specific project and all of it's related media totaling 750GB, setup Time Machine on a 2TB drive to backup only the drive with your project on it. The time machine drive will fill with 750GB and then begin incremental backups of only what has changed. If the only changes are just cut's on a timeline, Time Machine only needs to copy the tiny little project file. Just plug in the time machine drive and click backup now whenever you want to do a backup. The larger the Time machine drive is, the further back in time it will save.

I back up manually but I'm sure someone will have some advise on a better method than Time Machine. Like Carbon Copy Cloner, which I'm about to start using.

Return to posts index

Barbara Santi
on Jan 29, 2012 at 5:30:50 pm

thanks for your message. Yes thats what I did with Time machine - just choose the project which needs updating. But it started saying that I hadnt backed up for more than 160 days or something and it couldnt back up - it turned out that it wanted to back up the whole project again - I spoke to apple and they explained why it was happening (far too complicated) - they suggested not using it or getting a bigger hard drive. Im already using 1.5 & 2 tb hard drives and cant afford a Raid system so am trying to find an alternative method.

your first option is what I was doing beforehand but when you edit its difficult to remember what youve been doing so it didnt work for me.

thanks for now
best
B

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 29, 2012 at 6:39:17 pm

Drag you proj. folder onto your back-up hard drive nightly or whenever you want to.

Done.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Barbara Santi
on Jan 29, 2012 at 7:09:56 pm

no not done. My projects are 1tb + so takes a very long time longer than overnight sometimes and its stupid to have to copy from scratch when sometimes its only small changes that have been made. There must be a better more effecient way for larger fcp docs?
thanks tho
Barbara

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 29, 2012 at 8:11:39 pm

The proj. Folder Not the media. Do u organize your proj. In a folder? How big r ur proj.?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Barbara Santi
on Jan 29, 2012 at 10:32:35 pm

as said before the fcp projects are 1TB files

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:26:09 am

Are you sure that your .fcp files are 1TB? That seems a tad larger than normal...

Find your project file, it's a .fcp file, and just copy that to your backup drive. The .fcp file size should be in the range of MB's (not TB's) and copy in seconds.

What version of Final Cut are you using?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:25:17 am

[Barbara Santi] "as said before the fcp projects are 1TB files"
The fcp project is the file that you double click to open FC and display your time line.
That contains no media.
Every time that you change something, save it with a different name.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Barbara Santi
on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:43:22 pm

thanks for your messages - its not as easy as just updating fcp file as sometimes I add material - I have a number of different projects running at the same time - theres no way Id remember everything what Ive done - there must be an easier way but thanks for your comments.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 30, 2012 at 4:02:52 pm

Hi Barbara,
Not sure if you are looking for something like this:

http://www.lacie.com/silverkeeper/

That will back up the changes in the folders you want, when you want.
Is free.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Nick Pisarro, Jr.
on May 28, 2013 at 9:07:36 pm

Take a look at my white paper at: http://npassociatesllc.com/backupsforfcp/?afunc=docs and my product, Backups for Final Cut Pro, described on the same website.

The white paper discusses how to separate your media from you events so you can easily back them up and keep them organized.

Backups for FCP knows how to backup just the project and event files themselves and possibly your media. It knows to ignore the other stuff like render files. The upcoming version can also ignore Transcoded Media, which is easy to recreate.

One nice feature of the program is that is does incremental backups, unlike disk copy programs, so you can restore to previous date and time. You can restore specific projects or events. You can label your snapshots, so you know why you made them.

My product came out after this thread was created.

NickP

Return to posts index

Nick Pisarro, Jr.
on May 19, 2013 at 6:55:07 pm

Do I web search for "Backup Strategies for Users of Final Cut Pro X" my white paper on the subject, that I posted a few weeks ago. It talks about many of the issues you are experiencing.

If you'd like to talk to me one on one, contact me via the source of the white paper.

NickP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]