FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBook Pro, iMac or MacPro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Armani Del Rio
MacBook Pro, iMac or MacPro?
on Jan 22, 2012 at 2:53:07 pm

So at first I was sure I wanted the MBP but now I've been researching it and I'm not so sure. Im coming from windows and editing HD (AVCHD) is complete hell, my computer is so bad that it won't even playback HD footage. When I go to edit the program just shuts down and it's very frustrating. I know I have three options, Macbook Pro 17", iMac or MacPro. I really wanted the MBP because of the portability. But I don't want to spend money and end up with similar issues, were I can't edit. (btw I'm working with the Cannon HFS 200) Ive legit been researching this for MONTHS because I don't want to make the wrong choice. I want something that will give me smooth editing, were I can see the footage move in realtime without skipping frames and lagging. Please help.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: MacBook Pro, iMac or MacPro?
on Jan 22, 2012 at 8:09:08 pm

You can edit HD with a MBP. You'd be better off with a MacPro.
BUT, apple is way overdue for an update with the MacPro and may not even put out a new one. In which case a iMac would be a good choice.
Either way you need a raid for fast thru-put of video data.
Apple should drop something by April if you can wait.
If you feel strong about the portability (a need more than a want)
Then get the fastest one you can. Get an external raid box.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 23, 2012 at 1:26:05 am

If portability is more important to you than editing, get the laptop, but I would never recommend a laptop as one's primary edit computer. The new iMacs are fast, and thunderbolt gives the new iMacs loads of options that the older ones never had with only FW800 connections.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 23, 2012 at 10:29:53 am

Speaking as a first hand iMac user theyre great. Noticeably faster than the top spec MacBook Pro (which I have used a few times as well). I recently also bought a Sonnet thunderbolt express card adapter- instant access to some older peripherals and eSata ports- great if you have a raid. So yes, go iMac unless you NEED portability... which seems to be an odd one these days, the allure of a carryable computer seems to catch a lot of people out, only to realise it sits on their desk anyway. Also in a pinch you CAN carry an iMac under one arm, Ive carried mine to a few studios and its not TOO bad...

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010

------------------------------
Thanks if you can help :D
------------------------------

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Armani Del Rio
on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:10:58 pm

Thanks for the replies, I really wanna figure this out. Editing is definitely more important to me. And I do plan on getting a raid. So, the fastest, smoothest, and best experience would be with iMac? If I did decide to wait it out, and they put out a new line for MacPro, would it be worth getting the MacPro? Whats the major difference between iMac an MacPro?

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:31:04 pm

If portability isn't an issue, then yes, iMac is currently an excellent and very fast computer. I'm assuming you're talking about top spec (ie best processors)- in which case, iMac drives even top spec MacBook pros into the ground. Mac Pro is faster again (although the difference is much less noticeable until you are dealing with MUCH heftier bitrate footage or motion graphics. I would suggest that at this point (based on your questions) a Mac Pro may be overkill for you for the price difference.

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Armani Del Rio
on Feb 2, 2012 at 12:46:40 am

Yeah, I meant top specs. So essentially, the MacPro is better than the iMac? (In terms of top specs) and the MacPro is also more expesive? I'm also looking for something that will also benefit me in the future, as I gain more skills. Im double-triple checking because I don't want to make a bad purchase or get stuck with a bad editing experience. My PC now is a nightmare to edit on, and I don't want a repeat. I want the top specs, wether it be iMac or MacPro. Performance wise is their a big difference between the two?

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Feb 2, 2012 at 7:31:32 am

For some reason it answered twice- I can't delete posts so have just erased the massage :D

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Feb 2, 2012 at 7:35:34 am

The Mac Pro is Apples professional machine. However, the difference between the current top spec iMac (3.4ghz with full RAM) and the Mac Pro as standard, is only noticeable on paper really. I use both at work, and hopping between them I don't notice a difference with MOST processes to be honest.

BUT, a top spec iMac is about £2k. And that's kind of it- it's not drastically upgradable (other than ram). A Mac Pro on the other hand STARTS at that price. The best thing the Pro has to offer is cores. A iMac is a quad core with hyper threading, so essentially almost like an 8 core machine. However, a pro can have 2 -6 core processors, all that hyper thread- that is a LOT of power. But then that kind of power would only be fully useable if the rest of the computer could keep up- so you would need a EAID card and two or more striped internal drives. At this point, Mac Pro is looking more like £8k..... and that sort of power is honestly overkill for the majority of today's users, even many editors. What do you think you will be using it for?

As for future proofing, as well as your PC comment; don't worry about it- macs have a much more efficient operating system, fragging isn't an issue, and they don't get viruses (let the debate begin...) so don't install anti virus software, cos it just slows it down... seriously, don't. Macs don't slow down over time (or VERY little). Although I'm gonna wait for someone to jump on me about that- but really, within the useable life of a computer, Macs win every time. I have more caveats to add, but no time right now!

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor

Return to posts index

Keith Hopkin
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:44:34 pm

Thomas, thanks for the excellent info on this. It's great to hear the feedback from somebody who is simultaneously using both the iMac and MacPro.

I'm in the same boat at the moment deciding between the two. The next evolution of video is 4K resolution. I've already caused myself some pain trying to edit 4K GoPro footage on a MacBook Pro (2009) with 8gb RAM. I believe the bitrate is 45/Mbs on this footage. I also shoot and edit from professional cameras as well. Everything is fine until I add color correction or any effect processing. I understand that after adding a few effects rendering will suffer, but at least if I can preview quicker I will be happy.

4K will continue to become more popular. Although the displays won't be available some people are starting to take advantage of the ability to zoom and crop their 4K footage to 1080.

Any thoughts on this for the current top iMac?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]