FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import DVCPRO HD (P2) with native resolution

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrice Ecrabet
Import DVCPRO HD (P2) with native resolution
on Jan 20, 2012 at 11:30:56 am

Hello everybody
first of all, I am sorry for my english. I am french, so my post may be difficult to understand and full of mistakes.
we have been given a panasonic HVX 201 that we use for shooting every sunday @ church. the aim is to have HD videos of the cults posted on our website.
We use Vegas 10 to edit the shoots. Now i have understood that we have to pay raylight codec to edit natively with Vegas.
But since we have already paid a ~500$ P2 card. it would be difficult until the next year to pay ~200$ for editing in Vegas.

we have a alternative: use final cut pro 7.
As volunteer, i developed skills in Vegas for the production of the weekly cults.
unfortunelaty i don't have time to learn about FCP.
but with your very goods tutorials i learnt about the log and import thing in FCP.
so I succeeded in importing .mov files in DVCPRO HD format and i just wanted to render it in raw Apple Pro Res format, natively editable in Vegas. it worked.
My problem is that the DVCPRO HD resolution is 960 x 720 but the imported format is 960 x 540.
my question is a newbie question, very simple : how to import in the 960 x 720 resolution in FCP so that i will lose nothing ??
Thank you in advance. and sorry again for my english.

Katsuiro

Return to posts index

Fabrice Ecrabet
Re: Import DVCPRO HD (P2) with native resolution
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:30:34 pm

up!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:39:33 pm

DVCPROHD is a thin raster HD format. Don't worry about it.
Ingest the P2 material into the edit and all will be fine once editing.

If you're using FCP, You would "Log & Transfer" the footage in.
It will be DVCPROHD.
Drop it into a Blank Sequence and FCP will match settings for you.

OR

Drop it into a 960x720 sequence and it will be fine. The editing sys. will display correctly.

Now go edit!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Jan 22, 2012 at 3:50:15 am

The trick is to understand that it shoots at 960x720, but the pixels are rectangles. With the proper pixel aspect ratio selected on your sequence settings. The proper display size is 1280x720.

As Christ suggested, Log and Transfer the footage in, then drop the clip on a blank sequence. FCP will ask you if you want to match the sequence settings to the media you're using, pick YES. Your sequence and display settings will be correct automatically.

When you're done export at current settings, then use Compressor to transcode it for web or other destinations if needed.

Return to posts index

Fabrice Ecrabet
on Jan 22, 2012 at 10:15:07 pm

thank you chris and jeff for your answers
i will try it and come back to tell my results.

Fabrice

Fabrice Ecrabet
Katsuiro inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]