FORUMS: list search recent posts

Have you delivered a movie file on a pen drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Burke
Have you delivered a movie file on a pen drive?
on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:05:37 pm

Hi Folks - my first post!

I usually deliver my finished movies online. However I've been asked to deliver a 2 minute movie on a pen drive so it can be left behind for others to view on their PC/laptop/Mac - I don't know what they will have. Ideally I'd like them to plug in the pen drive and play the movie in the best quality possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions of which format to export to which retains the quality? Also is anyone aware of a method where a Quicktime player or Windows media player can be "packaged" with the file so the user will always be able to view the movie, no matter what they happen to have loaded on their individual machine? Maybe I'm just imagining that!

Thanks in anticipation.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Have you delivered a movie file on a pen drive?
on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:16:43 pm

hmmm... you are assuming the user of the USB plug-in drive will know how to install and run whatever you package with the video... That's a big "if".

VLC is free and works pretty well, but it's not completely automated or completely idiot-proof. MPEG2 and H.264 would be formats I consider ubiquitous...

Or you could make the video into flash format and bundle a flash plug-in with it...

I dunno. I'd be interested myself in what others will suggest.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jan 19, 2012 at 9:24:07 am

I haven't looked into bundling a player, but what I do routinely is to sent a Quicktime in h.264 for the video and AAC for the audio. That plays back fine for most people, and works well for the majority of my clients (delivering files that will be re-encoded for the web or sending viewing versions of broadcast programmes for approval or compliance).

For corporate clients I'll tend to give them a Quicktime (codecs as above) AND a Windows Media file as well (letterboxed in a 4:3 frame). Takes a little longer to do the extra encode, but saves having people phone up saying it doesn't work on an old PC that they don't have administrator permissions to add a program to and they have to show it to someone now.

BTW if you do a 2-pass encode the quality is a lot better than a single pass one for the same data rate.

Return to posts index

Gerry Burke
on Jan 19, 2012 at 9:37:39 am

Thanks for your help Guys.

Andrew - that's great to know you're doing this already and makes me think my little 2 minute movie will work now.

I'm fairly new to FCP, hence posting in the basics forum, so I was a bit confused about doing a second pass encode - I thought this only needed to be done once - or am I unaware of a setting you're referring to?

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 19, 2012 at 1:15:37 pm

i would go for MPGstreamclip and make an MP4 (h264).
That can be open in any computer and whatever the player they may have.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Schaefer
on Jan 20, 2012 at 10:35:44 pm

MPEG4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]