FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding text/subtitles to an entire movie

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joye Terc
Adding text/subtitles to an entire movie
on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:24:04 pm

Hi, I'm brand new to FCP and am just doing some very simple editing of movies (interviews) that I've taken and uploaded for my job. I need to transcribe these interviews and have the text running underneath the movies. So far, all I can tell is that you have to add text frame by frame. This seems like a ridiculously long process. It's also harder to line it up with the actual words this way. So far, from the people I've asked, there doesn't seem to be an easier way to do this in FCP. My other option is to just export it to Quicktime and then find a way to do it there. I've been looking for some third party software to help with this too, and have come up with a couple results, but don't know how good they are. Let me know if anyone has any experience with this. Unfortunately, sending these out to a transcription service is not an option, as we do not have the budget for it and I've been asked to do it myself. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Adding text/subtitles to an entire movie
on Jan 19, 2012 at 9:49:23 am

Not sure what you mean by "frame by frame". I'd choose a free video track to put the text on, then edit in a series of text clips (mark the in and out points on the sequence and overwrite). What you need is a transcript of the film as a text file, then you make up the first one, choosing the font, size, etc, then you copy/paste each bit of text into the same format for each clip.

I've done that loads of times for short sections of interview (e.g., foreign language translation) but I wouldn't volunteer to do a long film like that if I didn't have to! On the positive side, you'll become pretty good at spotting the start and ends of words when audio scrubbing if you do it that way (and that's a useful thing to be able to do).

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]