FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting quicktime movie from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dom Bush
Exporting quicktime movie from FCP
on Jan 2, 2012 at 2:43:04 pm

Hi Guys, never used this forum before, but some help would be much appreciated.

I am doing a short edit in FCP, only 3 mins of HD footage. When I try to export a quicktime file (to keep as a master file) it takes a really long time.

I have done this a hundred times before with no hitches, and it generally only takes a few minutes even if it is a much longer film. I have changed my sequence settings as I suspected this would be the cause and it has made it slightly better, but still says it will take an hour. The current settings are below;

HDTV 1080i (16:9)
Square
Upper (odd)

The quicktime video settings are;

H264
Quality - 100%

I'm confused, can anybody help?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Exporting quicktime movie from FCP
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:21:19 pm

I like to compress my H.264 files in Compressor.

Also, when I create a file as a Master Back Up I like to keep it in its RAW sequence setting which for me is the clips codec. To do this I go to File, Export, QuickTime Movie. Make sure "Make Movie Self-Contained" is checked. Then make sure Settings is set to Current Settings which it should by default. Then it will put it into what ever codec you where editing in and you will not "compress" it into something else. Hope this is of some help and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 2, 2012 at 9:58:46 pm

As mentioned. Make a Hi-Res. Master File first or a temp mov file.
Take that into your compression prog. to make your deliverables.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Dom Bush
on Jan 2, 2012 at 11:55:20 pm

Thanks guys.

May be a little misunderstanding, I'm not compressing it out of FCP. I'm just trying to export a full size QT file (which I will then compress for specific platforms using compressor or Mpeg streamclip later)

For some reason my computer is unable to simply export a self contained QT file. Really confused as I have always done this, with no problems in the past. I have tried lots of different settings but none seem to work. The time just goes up and up and the whole thing grinds to a halt.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 2, 2012 at 11:59:21 pm

B/C you are working w/ .h264 media - not advised for FCP - it is an acquisition or delivery codec and not well suited for editing.
Convert clips to Prores for much better results.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 3, 2012 at 1:44:08 am

I agree with Chris, H264 is really bad for editing in FCP. That is why I thought you where trying to convert it to H264. Changing the coded in the settings will make it so you need to re-render the project. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]