FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Won't recognize HVX200 as deck

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Joyce
FCP Won't recognize HVX200 as deck
on Dec 23, 2011 at 2:41:25 am

Hi,
I feel ridiculous here, but I am losing it. I have footage on a miniDV tape that I am trying desperately to digitize. It was shot on SOny Z5U, with recording settings at 1080i30P. I am now trying to use my HVX200A to digitize the footage. I don't usually digitze from tape (I just use the P2 cards) so I am somewhat behind on this. How can I set my A/V setting for FCP to reconize my camera as the deck and allow me to digitze? Sorry for this silly problem.

Cheers,
Kyle

HVX200A
iMac 8,1 Intel Core 2 duo
FCP7.0.3

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: FCP Won't recognize HVX200 as deck
on Dec 23, 2011 at 1:49:16 pm

If that Sony Cam shot it in the HDV codec - I don't believe that 200 will play it...

First, have the cam on and connected to mac B/4 launching FCP.
Select an easy setup that matches what's shot.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 23, 2011 at 8:17:49 pm

The sony shoots in DVCAm format, the Panny in DVC Pro or plain DV 25. All three are really the same DV 25 megabit codec, and there are braodcast decks from Sony and Panasonic that will play back all three with just a menu change... but I think he's probably right that the CAMCORDERS are not as format-agile as the decks are. Think about how compact they have to be made, and you'll understand why some featuese have to be left out. I think you're going to need a sony DVCAM deck to play that tape, or a DVC Pro deck with the playback option for DVCAm selected in the menus.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 23, 2011 at 8:23:39 pm

If the camera IS capabe of playing your tape, which I doubt, go to Log and Capture settings, then select "non-controllable device" and try a plain vanilla 8-bit uncompressed 48 khz preset from the easy setups. Put the cam/deck in manual play, see if it comes thru the firewire. If you are using something like an AJA Io external breakout box, that may be fighting the firewire port on the front of the mac tower, you could try turning off the AJA and rebooting the mac tower with the camera alraedy connected to the front firewire port and turned on. The order in which things are connected up and powered-on with firewire connections makes a difference sometimes as well.

Finally, the camera you're using has a 3-way switch, if I remember right. You have to take it out of camera mode and data transfer mode (P2) and into deck mode, and you may have to do that while it is powered-down. Try a few combinations of connection order and power up to see if you get one that works. Or RTFM:-)

I still think you'll end up needing a sony deck however due to the DVCam thing.

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
on Jan 2, 2012 at 4:49:22 am

HVX200 the tape deck is only for DV not HDV that the z5u shot in. You need an HDV camera (Not JVC's 720 HDV format) but either a canon or a sony HDV camera to play back that tape.

Once you get an HDV camera or deck to play back the tape you have you can easily go to easy set up and choose HDV, then 1080p30 as your preset. Then use normal Log and Capture.

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!

Check Out My Sky Replace Tutorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]