FORUMS: list search recent posts

Outputting DVCPro 60i footage to 24p?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Harkrider
Outputting DVCPro 60i footage to 24p?
on Dec 18, 2011 at 3:38:00 am

I shot my short film on a Panasonic HPX-370 with the DVCPro setting at 108060i and 24p. Final Cut Pro 7 recognizes this footage as 1080p30 when it is imported for some reason although the footage is clearly still interlaced. I want to output my edit to a 24p stream, but nothing I've tried has been able to accomplish that. No matter what settings I use, the footage is still interlaced on playback. My friend brought the footage into Avid and it worked out fine as a progressive stream, both in the timeline and on output, but Final Cut seems to be having real problems with this. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Outputting DVCPro 60i footage to 24p?
on Dec 18, 2011 at 10:50:39 am

[Ashley Harkrider] " I want to output my edit to a 24p stream"

Output to...what? Tape? digital file?

1080i60 is interlaced. 1080p24 is also interlaced...it is the 24p "look" in a 1080i60 (29.97) stream. Meaning that, just like film telecined to tape, frames are split up between fields. If you want actual 24p..23.98...then you need to shoot 1080i 24pA. That's 24p Advanced...meaning that when you import it, the pulldown is removed (redundant frames and fields) so that you end up with 23.98 footage...24p, that is actually 24fps.

So you edited everything at 1080p30? And now you want it to be 23.98? Tricky. You'll have to export as a self contained file, and then see if you want remove the pulldown with Cinema Tools. Gotta play with the options there...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ashley Harkrider
on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:03:15 am

I'm still new to understanding the pulldowns and such, but I was under the impression that I could make 108060i footage progressive upon output from Final Cut. Is that possible? It doesn't necessarily need to be 24p, but the interlacing is looking really bad in a lot of the scenes. Thanks again for your time and advice.

Return to posts index

Ashley Harkrider
on Dec 20, 2011 at 4:58:28 am

And sorry, I was referring to a digital file. When the files are imported into Avid, they seem to be progressive and not interlaced. It's just that even though the files were shot at 1080i60, and the settings in Final Cut are set to DVCPro 1080i60, when you import the files, they show up as 1080p30, even though they are clearly interlaced, and no matter whether I choose to deinterlace on output to a digital file, the footage is still interlaced upon playback. I know I'm a beginner with this shooting mode, but I was assured by many that I could output the footage to a progressive stream, which it seems I cannot. Now they all say they don't understand why it's not working and that it's something to do with the way Final Cut deals with DVCPro footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]