FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it worth spending a lot of time getting really good at FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Is it worth spending a lot of time getting really good at FCP 7?
on Dec 11, 2011 at 5:25:59 pm

I realize this thread is a can of worms.....but........I currently use FCP 7 and am loathe to leave FCP. It does the job for me now so I dont need to change. That said, I spend a decent amount of time learning the program more, learning shortcuts and other tricks. I plan on using FCP 7 for the next couple years and then reevaluating if I'd want to change, if something has come along that is better, if FCP X changes etc:

Does it seem a good use of my time to get really good at shortcuts and keystrokes with FCP 7 if I might change in a few years? It's the first and only NLE I've used. I guess the nature of the beast is you end up having to change multiple times over a career.

Any thoughts would be great!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Is it worth spending a lot of time getting really good at FCP 7?
on Dec 12, 2011 at 12:26:59 am

This question has been asked and answered many times in many different ways. Of course, there is no perfect answer for all, but the best answer for most has more to do with where you are and what those around you are using. Here in LA, it's fairly obvious that the entire town will soon be using Avid. So, because I work with and for others, I have to adopt the same app they use. The same concept may or may not apply to you, but you should definitely consider it.

Hope this helps...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Dec 12, 2011 at 3:48:04 pm

Wow. You really think in LA it's rapidly moving towards all Avid? That's depressing......

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 12, 2011 at 4:11:49 pm

In my opinion and for my workflow Avid and Premiere are better then FCP7 and can save you more time. For me not having to Log and Transfer footage is big. But if you are planning on sticking with FCP7 for two more years I think that is two years you can save time by learning new tricks. Just my two cents.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 12, 2011 at 7:51:59 pm

I say, get good at EDITING, not so much at a particular platform. I still have not learned all there is to know about FCP7, but we're hanging onto it for now, as it does more than what we generally ask of it.

The thing is, pick whatever platform you like best, that fits your style best, and that's the one that IS best for you. Because you spend so much time with it, you'll become faster and more intuitive with time, and you'll be faster with the old venerable than someone else with uber version beta.

You never really stop learning in this business, unless you retire, maybe. Gear comes and goes, you adapt, you re-learn when needed. Try to do it on your own terms, when you really DO need it, not so much on what is fashionable this week to others. People don't look at a well-crafted cut and say: "Oh, I can tell that was cut on an AVID", versus some other platform. They say:

"That SOB knows how to CUT!"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]