FORUMS: list search recent posts

quicktime won't play my fcp export on other macs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robie Flores
quicktime won't play my fcp export on other macs
on Dec 8, 2011 at 8:21:50 pm

I exported several timelines from my FCP 7 project and created three different quictimes. The computer I was using was running on Snow Leopard. When I took my quicktimes on a hard drive to look on the other computers in the office (which are all macs with either snow leopard or leopard and either QTPro or QTX) it would simply not play and just say it was loading, and the content would never play on its own; this was on the snow leopard macs with QTPro. The leopard macs with QTX would give me an error message that said "Thie movie file 'XYZ' cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly." It will let me preview it when I press the space bar, but it will not let me play it on quicktime on any of the other computers besides the original one I created the quicktimes on.

Does anyone have any idea why they won't play? I don't think the operating system or the QT version is a problem factor, but maybe someone else has had similar issues.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: quicktime won't play my fcp export on other macs
on Dec 8, 2011 at 9:50:40 pm

You exported a Quicktime Reference movie. That means you made a file that doesn't contain anything...it's just a clip that points to the media that exists on your drives. So only your computer can see it. Open it up on another machine, and it is looking for that media.

You need to make sure that you check the MAKE SELF CONTAINED option in the EXPORT window.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robie Flores
Re: quicktime won't play my fcp export on other macs
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:00:40 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the help, I actually thought this might have been the problem as well but the QT file was still a few MB or even GB big and wouldn't a reference movie only be KB big? Also, when I would try to preview it on the different computers, it would let me preview with the space bar, but it just would never play or open with QuickTime. And when I exported from it, the settings were never changed, and the export did have "Make self contained," checked.

So I can't figure out why this would be happening if it wasn't a reference movie. Any other thoughts??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]