FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying Final Cut Studio used

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Molin
Buying Final Cut Studio used
on Dec 7, 2011 at 11:33:47 pm

Hi, I wanted to buy a used copy of final cut studio. I found a posting on craigslist and checked it out. However, I found out that the copy of final cut that the guy was selling me was on some burned disks. He said he had a license and that I would be able to upgrade once I installed it, but it still seemed a little sketchy. Is there any chance that this could be legitimate?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Buying Final Cut Studio used
on Dec 8, 2011 at 1:35:33 am

It does sound odd that the disks are not original. Why would he only have copies of them ?

I would be cautious about what I was buying.

Apple do allow you to transfer the license but it should include the original disks.

Small print is here

3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, lend or sublicense the Apple Software. You may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts, original media, printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c) the party receiving the Apple Software reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License. All components of the Apple Software are provided as part of a bundle and may not be separated from the bundle and distributed as standalone applications.

So strictly its not allowed and obviously is your risk.

Maybe ask him to send you a photo of the license - he should obviously cover up the serial number but it should tell you that its real or not and a full version.

If he has a genuine license and a valid reason for the disks then just maybe its OK - if he just has the numbers written down then walk away for sure.

I bought a copy of FCP from a guy overseas - I just needed the license and he took a photo for me of everything. I could see it was genuine so I asked him to just post me the license and throw away the disks.
It was in the days when you got a huge box and manuals etc that I didnt need anyway and didnt want to pay to ship. It was all legit and I registered the software without issue.

Follow your instincts though - if its too good to be true then it probably is wrong.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 8, 2011 at 3:34:39 pm

Almost certainly, this is a pirate copy. Check your own moral compass as to whether that's okay with you. If this is for a working business, it is pretty unprofessional to depend on such "shetchy" stuff to hold up and work on critical projects where your rep is on the line.

Fina Cut Suite is a special case, perhaps. Apple's abandoned it, they aren't making it any more. People are doing what they think they have to, in order to get a version or upgrade from older versions. It's still, not strictly speaking, legal. I imagine a lot of folks are winking at it, though. I know I would love an inexpensive copy of FCS3 for my home computer. But I'm planning an upgrade from my G-3 imac after 13-odd years, and will likely instead try out FCPx at home to start getting familar with it, while we still will be running FCS-3 at work for a few more years. Obsolete or not, it still kicks butt.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 8, 2011 at 6:21:05 pm

This doesn't sound legal to me. Me personally, I would look into Avid, Premier or FCPX. You will have to at some point so why not know.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]