FORUMS: list search recent posts

Voice over "mono" to "stereo"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erick Puentes
Voice over "mono" to "stereo"
on Nov 24, 2011 at 6:08:02 am

I'm using FCP7 and I just bought a MXL Studio 24 for voice overs. When I record the voice over its' in 'Mono' but I need it in 'stereo'. How can I do this short of copying the mono track twice? Thank you!

~Erick

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Voice over "mono" to "stereo"
on Nov 24, 2011 at 2:19:50 pm

If you cannot export it to a stereo track then take it into STP and do it there.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Nov 24, 2011 at 4:59:58 pm

I haven't tried exporting the project but I can't imagine a mono track converting to stereo once exported. As far as exporting to STP, I can do that but some did suggest just duplicating the 'mono' track and locking them together. This does accomplish that stereo sound but I didn't think it was the proper way to do it.

If there is a proper way short of purchasing a 'stereo' usb mic then i'm all ears. Still new at this and trying to learn my way. Thanks for any help!

~Erick

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 24, 2011 at 5:16:06 pm

Launch Soundtrack Pro.
Navigate to your scratch disc where the mono audio file is.
Drop it into the timeline.
File export.
select:

16bit
stereo

It will output a new file for you.

Import that into FCP.

But, doubling up the mono track works fine too in FCP. It depends what you are really trying to accomplish.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Nov 24, 2011 at 8:52:22 pm

Just wondering what you are trying to achieve by making the file "stereo"
A single voice in inherently mono in that it comes from a single point and source.
So even if you recorded using a stereo mic what chennel seperation would you be looking for ?

Obviously for 2 voices you might want to pan them slightly to give a feel of spacial seperation or you may need to pan a voice to give an impression of the source of the sound moving.
However both can be achieved with a mono track.

I was trying to think of a time when I had been given a file or recoding from a VO session that was anything other than mono or dual mono but honestly cant.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 26, 2011 at 2:38:56 pm

It's nothing to do with your mic or your audio interface, the VO Tool in FCP only records single track mono audio. If you want to record stereo or multichannel audio in FCP then forget using the VO Tool, instead you'll need to set up an appropriate Audio Capture preset to use in the "Log and Capture" interface.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Nov 27, 2011 at 5:10:24 am

what exactly do you mean about setting up a preset in the "log and capture'? Also, how do that differ from just making a copy of that mono track to another track, so it comes out as stereo?

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Nov 27, 2011 at 5:46:59 am

What I'm trying to achieve is to hear the VO track in both the Left & Right channels. In my case, I'm doing a VO for a tutorial video and want to hear that VO in Stereo. Really nothing fancy like two vocals needing panning.

I suppose my question would be, if I export the video via Compressor with those VO's in mono, will they automatically be converted to stereo?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Nov 27, 2011 at 8:41:51 pm

I am assuming you are working with a simple 2 track output set up.
If you look at a pair of stereo tracks you will see one is panned left and one right.
So as long as your single mono VO track is panned to the centre it will come out of both left and right of your stereo track despite only physically being on one track. It does not matter which track it is on the panning controls the output.

Does that help ?

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]