FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overexposed VHS problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Johnson
Overexposed VHS problem
on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:08:16 am

I have some 20 year old VHS footage in FCP7 and it's way overexposed. They only want better looking footage with a few titles and a menu. It's about 25 minutes and only 2 clips. Any ideas how to improve on this? I thought it might be degradation but there are a few moments when indoors for a few seconds that it looks fairly decent. I tried a bunch of things in color corrector but I'm guessing as I never fooled with it much. When I shoot something, I set my camera up from the start and haven't had this issue before.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Overexposed VHS problem
on Nov 22, 2011 at 9:57:07 am

The standard colour corrector in FCP is a bit limited for badly overexposed stuff. There's a couple of free plugins that might help though: Captains Blowout Fixer and Lyric's Shadow-Highlight (google those, they're free downloads).

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 22, 2011 at 3:45:05 pm

1 Another thing you might try is to stack multiple copies of the video in the timeline and play with opacity settings and blending modes to kind of fake a wider dynamic range.

2 Your FCP suite came with Apple Color: time to open that up and play with it.

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Nov 23, 2011 at 12:34:29 am

Thanks for the input. I wish I had time to play with color, but I'm not home and I'm using the internet tethered to my smart phone. I'm a million miles in the middle of no-where and need to be done before I leave this weekend. I'll save color for another day unless I can get a blow by blow workflow. For now, I'll give one of the plug-ins a go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]