FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS log and capture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Johnson
VHS log and capture
on Nov 14, 2011 at 12:16:54 am

FCP doesn't see my input. I did an S-Video connection to my HDR-FX1 Sony, then firewire to my MBP. Any idea what my settings should be? It's 20 year old VHS home movies shot with who only knows. FCP wants HD I think because it defaults when it see's the firewire connection. I checked the Sony manual and I'm sure my connection is right and the settings maybe not so clear. Sony said to make the output DV, not HDV. I agree but the only way I can digitize the media with my camera is with the firewire connection. Am I close, light years away.....tell them that their tape is possessed? Confused.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: VHS log and capture
on Nov 14, 2011 at 1:07:10 am

[Craig Johnson] "I checked the Sony manual and I'm sure my connection is right and the settings maybe not so clear. Sony said to make the output DV, not HDV."

I'm not familiar with that particular camera but I think the camera's menu setting you want may be listed as "iLink Conv" (convert). It should be set to "off". You may also have to unplug the cable first to get the change to stick.

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 14, 2011 at 2:12:46 am

[Craig Johnson] "FCP doesn't see my input. I did an S-Video connection to my HDR-FX1 Sony, then firewire to my MBP. Any idea what my settings should be? It's 20 year old VHS home movies shot with who only knows. FCP wants HD I think because it defaults when it see's the firewire connection. I checked the Sony manual and I'm sure my connection is right and the settings maybe not so clear. Sony said to make the output DV, not HDV. I agree but the only way I can digitize the media with my camera is with the firewire connection. Am I close, light years away.....tell them that their tape is possessed? Confused."
The camera has to be in EE (Electronic/Electronic) so what gets through the Video IN, outs through the FW.
YEs, the camera must be in DV mode because you are digitizing an SD signal (VHD).
Are you getting the VHS picture in the camera screen?
You need that first.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Nov 14, 2011 at 12:53:55 pm

I tried different combinations of plugging and unplugging the cable and no....there is no picture in the camera viewfinder. I toggled around with different settings there also with no luck. I tried different output cables from the VCR thinking maybe I had a corrupt cable. No difference.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 14, 2011 at 1:10:56 pm

Make sure the signal is PASSING thru the camera.

Shut down the mac.

Plug FW into cam and Computer.
Bootup.
Launch FCP.
Go into easy setup DV NTSC
Change control (FW) to non-control/no control.
Go push play on VHS.
go into capture now.

OR

Dub all VHS to DV tape first.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 14, 2011 at 2:45:18 pm

Well worst case, record it to the camera first, then use the camera/NLE connection in the normal manner.

I find that when using the camcorder as a transcoder, they get very picky aboutt he sequence things are connected up in, and the order things are powered-up in. It may also be that the camcorder input may only work in composite, and not the S-VHS. The manual shuld really lay this out.

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:43:54 pm

The manual shows a graphic and illustrates the steps to take. It seems pretty straight forward but shows now preference to S-Video or old school connections. I may try the RCA connectors when I get back to my desk as well as what Chris suggests and post results. Thanks to all for your input.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Nov 14, 2011 at 10:54:16 pm

I had to capture some old VHS stuff for the first time in years a few weeks back.
I ended up getting something like this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/312315-REG/Grass_Valley_602005_ADVC55...

You dont have any deck control and have to use "Capture Now" but other than that worked out well capturing to a DV codec.

May help if the camera thing doesnt happen ?

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:37:13 am

It was the S-Video output that was failing. Sony's manual suggests that it's the better connection. I used the old school composite connection and bingo. Pretty edgy looking stuff though and I don't think it's a connection issue, just a 20 year old VHS shot with a marginal camera. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]