FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hd to SD workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Johnson
Hd to SD workflow
on Oct 25, 2011 at 1:20:02 pm

Can't find a solution that I'm happy with in previous threads. This was shot with my HDR-FX1 in 1080 and the client needs to have it in SD video format that can play as a background on both stand alone dvd players and in a computer dvd player. It's a simple 30 minute video made up of the same nature shot replicated 6 times clip to clip that I originally saved in FCP in a Prores 422 timeline. I have sent it to compressor on a few dozen different experiments and the output is noisy and grainy. I changed up my color correction from the filter and instead used COLOR as advised in a previous post which helped a little bit. What is the best workflow to go from FCP to finished product? I know it won't work as well as the blu ray's but I see SD stuff that is very very good. I'd like to be in that club. Appreciations in advance.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Hd to SD workflow
on Oct 25, 2011 at 3:14:27 pm

For SD this is what I like:

I cut the video in HD. (I feel FCP7 does a bad job of converting HD to SD in the timeline) When I'm done I go to File, Export, QuickTime movie. Make sure "Make Movie Self-Contained" if you want the full movie not just a reference file. It will export your movie out in its current settings. Bring movie into compressor. Add the "DVD: Best Quality 90 minutes" setting and compress it. Then bring the mpeg files into DVD studio Pro. Under the General Tab make sure the Display mode is set to "16:9 Letterbox". If it plays on a 16x9 TV it will feel the screen. If it plays on a 4:3 TV it will letter box the video.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Oct 25, 2011 at 4:08:13 pm

Thanks Stephen. I did that same workflow up to the send to DVD studio pro. I tried a few times to drag assets to Toast..Not so great.. I'll give your idea a go tonight and post results.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 25, 2011 at 4:14:27 pm

Sounds great, hope you like the results Craig.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Oct 27, 2011 at 12:54:49 am

Hello again. Tried all the great ideas everyone had but the final output looks like doggy doo. I may have made a capture mistake that I put in a previous post but didn't get a reply. Here it is again...The capture settings on the iMac are usually set to DV NTSC 48K Anamorphic and that works pretty good for most everything we do here but this time it had been set to HDV-ProRes 422 and I didn't catch it. Would that make a notable difference in the HD video being moved down to SD? If you think it would, should I re-capture to something else? Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]