FORUMS: list search recent posts

Future of FCP and Apple

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Haro
Future of FCP and Apple
on Oct 16, 2011 at 7:31:09 am

I'm thinking about expanding my Mac + FCP workflow by buying a new piece of Apple hardware. I currently own a 2009 MacBook Pro 15" that has done me well so far. I'm more of a producer/director than a pro editor however I value my ability to take edit jobs in a pinch and cut my personal work- and do each well.

I've resisted going the route of the Tower because, like I said, I'm not a pro editor. Feel's like overkill. Below are my possible routes:
a) keep my MacBook Pro, obtain a 12" macbook air to handle more portable/officey needs that would otherwise be handled by my mbpro
b) keep my MacBook Pro, obtain a 27" imac to handle the heavy lifting I would otherwise attempt with my macbook pro. My mbpro would then become my portable computing device with the ability to edit on the go in a pinch.
c) scrap the Macbook Pro and get a new Macbook Pro (whenever they come out). This seems wasteful, considering everything on my current rig is backed up appropriately- nothing a new internal hard drive can't fix.
d) keep my old macbook pro and get something else entirely different. nerds- tell me if there's something looming on the horizon that I'm not aware of! I'm fully aware that final cut x is a piece of crap for pro needs and don't want to preemptively marry into a Mac and pro post divorce.

Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Future of FCP and Apple
on Oct 16, 2011 at 11:12:43 am

Hi Jordan,
I'm a similar situation than you; I can keep doing my work with FCP for a long time.
I have a couple of MBP 17 and my idea is to get an iMac. The only caveat is on being able to use my eSATA HDs. I expect some eSATA/Thunderbolt adaptor to be released soon.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:49:00 pm

I'm about due for an upgrade.

I am waiting for Thunderbolt!

My route will be a new tower and a new raid box, with TB ports.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 20, 2011 at 8:47:05 pm

More and more Thunderbolt devices will be hitting the market. Checkout Sonnet's offerings. I'm definitely waiting for the Mac Pro with Thunderbolt, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking about a new MBP with Thunderbolt since you can use pcie cards in external TB enclosures (see Sonnet).

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 21, 2011 at 4:26:44 pm

Hi John,
Greats to know that there is that Thunderbolt/Express card adaptor.
I'm thinking on the iMac because has power enough for the kind of job I do and thunderbolt seems to have lifted the connectivity limitations. I've been forced to work since 2007 with MBPs and I'm tired of them (my eyes have payed a toll) and no real need of Mac Pros.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]