FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard drive to use w/ FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vinnie Urgo
Hard drive to use w/ FCP
on Oct 16, 2011 at 2:21:15 am

OK so sorry if this is not exactly a FCP question but I am almost ready to click buy from amazon on a external HD combo- 1 WD 3tb usb 2.0 for backup and 1 seagate 3tb firewire drive to use for editing.I've been converting to prores422 which make things go pretty smoothly...but not always...

My question is, there is no info on rotational speed for the seagate. Assuming it's 5400 rpm and I use firewire 800 will this work well with FCP 6 on my macbook 2.53 ghz with 8G ram? Like I said about to buy but cannot find this info so thought I would ask here first..eventually I can upgrade to thunderbolt or usb3.0. will drive speeds even make a difference at that point?

Here is the exact drive..
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk v 2.0 3 TB FireWire 800 USB 2.0 External Hard Drive for Mac - STBC3000101

thanks!

Vinnie Urgo
Photo and Video Professional
vincenturgo@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Hard drive to use w/ FCP
on Oct 16, 2011 at 10:54:51 am

FW800 should be fast enough to cope, but there might be an issue with the speed of the drive itself (it doesn't matter how fast the connection is if you can't read/write fast enough on the disc itself). I'm not sure about that particular model but the GoFlex range appear to all be 5400rpm, so I'd be doubtful about it being a good buy for video editing. I expect it would work, but not "well".

The external drives that I use with my MBP are raid/esata and work out around twice (one of them nearly three times TBH) the price per amount of storage than what you're looking at, but I consider the extra performance worth every penny. Just my opinion.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:50:25 pm

ALWAYS go with 7200rpm or 10,000 rpm on editing drives. You need to confirm drive speed or pass it up.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Vinnie Urgo
on Oct 18, 2011 at 5:04:08 am

Passing on the seagate. Saw one at a clients home the other day. looked like a awkward POS. Shooting for a G-Tech like this one- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E9SGUO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m...

If there is anything I should know please tell me!!!!! That a lot of $$$. Just might have to gift wrap it for myself if I get it. It'll be fun!

Vinnie Urgo
Photo and Video Professional
vincenturgo@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]