FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import/Rendering issue FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerald Chervet
Import/Rendering issue FCP7
on Oct 13, 2011 at 2:33:40 pm

Hello,

First of all I want to warn you that I am a beginner so for some of you my question will probably looks stupid.
Here is my question/problem.
I recently got a Contour HD cam, recorder some stuff and now I want to edit it in FCP 7.03..
I import my files through File/import files (never use the capture option).
Doing so I import files with:
Dimensions : 1920X1080
Duration: 1:24 (for this particular example, but rarely more than 5 minutes)
Audio Channels: 2
Total bit rate: 11,555
Codecs: H264, AAC

The thing is, just to be able to work on it, the video needs to be rendered.
I wasn't sure what sequence preset to use so I tried one ProRes 1920X1080.
Some of you probably already know what is wrong : 1:24 minutes it takes almost an hour to render (I have a MAC pro 8 core nehalem with 8 gigs of Ram) so it makes no sense it should be way more faster.
When I insert my first clip in the timeline it says that it doesn't match the sequence settings, so if I click yes to match, then I got the red screen with Insufficient memory error, if I click no, then I can work (barely) but it takes hours and hours to render the entire sequence.
My question is, is there a pre set who would save my life? I have available lots of ProRes, DV NTSC/PAL, DV50, DVCPRO DVCPROHV, HDV, IMX, Offline RT, uncompressed and a bunch of XDCAM.

Or would it be easier for me to run a Compressor batch everytime I need to import clips and re-encode them before editing?

Just for additional info, I have 2 Hard drive (plus the one with the OS) and I tried to change the render folder, it doesn't change anything.

Thanks a lot for you time, waiting for your comments :-)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Import/Rendering issue FCP7
on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:36:18 pm

When you drag your clip into your sequence for the first time FCP will ask if you want your sequence to match the clips settings. Click yes and all of your clips will play in real time with no rendering. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Gerald Chervet
on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:30:35 pm

Sorry but as I mentioned if I click on yes I get the red screen with the Memory error message :-(

'Display unavailable. Close and reopen window to restore." red screen

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Oct 13, 2011 at 4:14:12 pm

You need to Log and Transfer that files to Prores (LT is probably just fine) because that H.264 files are a capture codec not a editing one.
if you don´t have the folder structure and just the files now then convert them in Compressor or in MPEG Streamclip (you can download it for free)

Return to posts index

Gerald Chervet
on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:34:25 pm

Thanks, however could you explain me what you mean by folder structure?
The cam inside software creates couple folder in the Memory card.
Usually I grab the files from the Misc folder.

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:05:01 pm

Yes, you see, in order to do the Log and Transfer in Final Cut to Prores you need to copy the whole folder structure to your hard drive and then it will connect properly.

Check Shane´s tutorial on how to do what I am telling you, it would be more clearer and easy for you to understand watching it.

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Return to posts index

Gerald Chervet
on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:23:10 pm

REALLY REALLY useful !!! Thanks a lot..I am testing it now.
Update : it doesn't work :-(
contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

So I guess I need to re-encode all of my footage :-(
I gonna die

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]