FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need to change my clip properties during an edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Surf
Do I need to change my clip properties during an edit
on Oct 11, 2011 at 11:01:25 am

Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem I've never seen before. Think it's best if I start with my workflow:

I shot on a 550D and converted my footage using Pro Res 422 and imported into FCP

Everything is going fine with the edit but when I introduce a transition the red render bar comes up and it won't play. Also, the RT drop down menu only gives me the option to Use Playback Settings or Full Quality.

I've checked my clips under item properties and it says Compressor: H.264 - have I accidentally imported my original footage instead of the Pro Res 422 encoded footage or would this show as H.264 anyway?? My Sequence settings are set to HDTV 1080i with H.264 Compressor.

If I need to change the clips and re-import my Pro Res clips (if this is the issue) how do I do this by simply swapping the clip properties. Is there a way to do this as I've done a lot of work on the edit and hate the thought of having to restart a whole new sequence using my Pro Res 422 clips.

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Do I need to change my clip properties during an edit
on Oct 11, 2011 at 11:53:36 am

Hi Matt

it seems you may have a couple of issues here.

Firstly if the properties of the clip are showing as H264 then yes you have used the wrong media. It should say ProRes for the codec.

Your sequence is also H264 - which is why it plays fine until you get to a transition.

You clearly planned to edit the ProRes footage into a ProRes sequence.

In terms of a simple replacement, I am not sure if it will be that easy. If your file names are the same for both the H264 and ProRes you could try editing your sequence into a ProRes timeline, taking your existing footage offline and then reconnecting to the ProRes media.
If you have done a lot if work as you are you may take the view that putting up with having to render is less of a hassle than trying to rebuild.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Matt Surf
on Oct 12, 2011 at 9:47:25 am

Thanks for the reply Neil - still not sure how I imported / rendered the wrong footage in the first place but it's all a lesson I guess?! :0) Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Matt Surf
on Oct 12, 2011 at 10:09:05 am

Thanks for the reply Neil - I've just double checked and yes, for some reason I didn't get the clips into Pro Res 422 format from within MPEG streamclip - DOH!

Could I not go into Media Manager within FCP and recompress all my clips that way?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]