FORUMS: list search recent posts

Phantom Dissolves

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Fanjoy
Phantom Dissolves
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:53:53 am

I'm recently experiencing an odd anomaly. When I delete a dissolve between edits in exchange for a straight cut, the right clip maintains a slight ghost or phantom of the left clip mimicking the previously deleted dissolve. If I don't move the clip and add the dissolve back, the right clip now displays two dissolves on top of each other.

If I close the project file, and/or close FC all together, it does not change the condition. I have 8gigs of unused RAM and many TB's of hard drive space avaialable.

The only thing that makes it go away, is to move the clip around and force a re render, or replace the clip from the original source.

Very, very strange. Never seen this before. Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks,

Mark Fanjoy

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
Re: Phantom Dissolves
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:27:56 pm

The reason for this behavior is because that part of the sequence was rendered, so FCP is still using the 'rendered' part of the sequence for your playback. You are correct that a quick adjustment of the clip placement will force FCP to 're-render' and forget the previous dissolve. I usually just grab the handle of a clip and reduce it by a frame or two, then stretch it back out, then repeat on the other side of the cut. This way I don't lose my edit point or need to replace anything. Usually the force render doesn't pickup the new edit. Not the best solution, but I've been doing it for years. At least you're not crazy.

FWIW,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
Re: Phantom Dissolves
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:33:29 pm

Okay, Todd. So, it sounds like from you that this is just an artifact of FC and learn to work around it. Odd, that I've never encountered this before. But, it does resolve itself relatively easy. So, I'll just keep moving forward.

Thanks for also validating that I'm not crazy! I printed your response and gave it to my Wife as support. She didn't buy it, and said, go back to your black hole!

Fanjoy

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]