FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped Frames on Macbook Pro 15 When Volume at max

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vince valaitis
Dropped Frames on Macbook Pro 15 When Volume at max
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:36:13 am

I am using final cut pro 7 on a 15" macbook pro that is only a few months old. Currently I have been working on a project using AVCHD footage, and have begun experiencing a severe dropped frame issue, to the point that playback becomes interrupted and the extreme rt window pop up.

This issue only arises when I turn the volume on the laptop up to either max or one notch below max. If i lower the volume to 3 notches below max, or lower than that, the video plays through fine. The dropped frames issue not only occurs in the sequence, but when watching a clip in the viewer as well.

I have run disk utility and repaired my permissions, and trashed all my preferences, and uninstalled and reinstalled final cut pro.

Anyone have any experience with this issue, or any ideas what a possible solution could be?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Dropped Frames on Macbook Pro 15 When Volume at max
on Oct 9, 2011 at 10:25:39 pm

Have to say I have never heard of the audio playback volume affecting the performance of video playback.

My fist questions would be what type of drive(s) on what type of bus are you using to playback the footage ? How many layers are you playing back ?

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

vince valaitis
on Oct 10, 2011 at 12:04:20 am

Its just a standard 15" macbook pro. only one layer of audio and video. I'm guessing maybe the problem is something to do with my hd.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:15:22 pm

Hi Vince

Yes very likely, if you are playing back HD footage from your internal drive you will run into problems with dropped frames.

It is generally not a good idea to use your internal drive for video playback.

Some options to consider depending on the age/model of your Macbook.

Basic minimum would be a firewire 800 drive but to be honest that's going to only be OK up to around HDV resolution. After that it will begin to struggle depending on what you use.
A small Sata raid of 2 drives might be an option. Raid 0 for speed but bear in mind no redundancy. (Not that you have that on internal anyway)
You will need a Sata card like this.
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_express34.html

Of course you can add more drives or use Raid 1 (mirrored)

Then finally the new machines support Thunderbolt drives which should be quick enough as they are.

Hope that helps.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

vince valaitis
on Oct 11, 2011 at 2:27:05 am

Ok, thanks. It is a standard 15" macbook and is only a few months old. The media plays absolutely fine on imovie, and it's just strange that apparently the system uses more ram to increase the playback volume, but apparently that is the case.

Return to posts index

Joe Ensley
on Mar 10, 2012 at 8:24:57 pm

I'm having the EXACT same problem, called Apple they tried a few things nothing worked. Went to the apple store they ran tests on it overnight apparently there are no hardware issues and they didn't have a solution. Still waiting on what to do next. Have you had any updates??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]