FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cropped A Video. What Do I Fill It In With?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaye James
Cropped A Video. What Do I Fill It In With?
on Oct 6, 2011 at 2:30:54 am

I have a white background video.

I cropped half of the video.

How do I match and fill in the cropped area.

I used a matte. Used both a 235 White and 255 white color matte.

Both look great on the computer. But stick out and ruin the white background effect on both the iphone and ipad. The missing cropped area looks like a grey box. Not good.

How do I fill in the missing area to match the white background of my video. That will look good on both computer and iphones.

Here's a video that achieved the look and advises cropping out the lights. But doesn't tell how to fix the cropped area.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: Cropped A Video. What Do I Fill It In With?
on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:10:46 am

I think I understand you- you basically need a white background to fill theepty space around the crop you have-

What I would try is adding a lot of feather to your crop, then just putting in a white background (a jpeg) behind it (on the video track below it)- that way, even if the colour isnt perfectly matched, the feathering of the crop will mean it all blends in quite nicely. in theory. Without seeing what you have I can't tell you what will work :)

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor,
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 6, 2011 at 1:31:57 pm

Couple ways I would try it:

Create a color solid from your drop-down tools under the viewer window. Use it's eyedropper to sample the actual white color from the edge of your existing cropped shot. Put that on a layer below the cropped shot and highlight the cropped shot, then apply edge feathering to the crop settings.

Export a single still of the cropped shot, bring that into photoshop, and use it as the basis for a centered gradient fill, then blend as in the first example.

Bring in a white frame and use the 3-way color corrector to match the tones.

Duplicate the track with the crop, then magnify a white section of it to fill the screen. Add gaussian blur to kill pixelization. A benefit of this method is that if the levels change in the original shot, the matte derived from this will stay matched.

Return to posts index

Jaye James
on Oct 6, 2011 at 3:25:05 pm

Ugh!

I've tried all the methods listed above.

The end result is that the video looks great on the computer BUT the filled in crop area looks grey on the iphone and ipad.

If you view this video on your iphone you'll see the grey area.

Any more ideas. Thank you all for your time.

Return to posts index

Jaye James
on Oct 6, 2011 at 3:53:59 pm

sorry erased it by accident. thanks

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Oct 7, 2011 at 6:35:14 pm

Export a still image of the clip. Put the image in photoshop, use the eyedropper tool to match the color and create a still image with the same color. Drop the still below the cropped video clip. If it's an even white color.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite