FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I convert .mov H.246 files to a codec final cut pro 7 can work with??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enrique Rojas
How can I convert .mov H.246 files to a codec final cut pro 7 can work with??
on Oct 4, 2011 at 5:09:43 pm

Im fairly new to FCP7. I need to edit a lot of videos but they are all in H.264. Ive been told FCP cannot work with this codec well. Does anyone know how I can convert them? What software can I use? Also, will the videos lose any quality by any chance?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How can I convert .mov H.246 files to a codec final cut pro 7 can work with??
on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:04:58 pm

H.264 from....where? If from a Canon DSLR...use this workflow: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

or...use MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert to ProRes 422. Yes, the file sizes will change, and they will get MUCH larger (4x as large). And yes, this needs to happen, as H.264 is a highly compressed format not suited to editing on many NLEs. Lose quality? No...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: How can I convert .mov H.246 files to a codec final cut pro 7 can work with??
on Oct 5, 2011 at 11:44:47 am

Shane gave you a great link - FCP7 doesn't work with compressed footage well - there are established workflows using MPEGStreamclip, compressor (amongst others) to transcode to ProRes.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Laura Wood
on Oct 9, 2011 at 9:02:44 am

Yep, Shane is right. Prores is FCP's natve format, and requires no rendering when importing to FCP 7.
Actually, there're so many video converters to access pro res output.

-------------------------------------------------
Laura
Laura Wood

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]