FORUMS: list search recent posts

File Organization in FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabi Bucataru
File Organization in FCP?
on Oct 2, 2011 at 2:37:33 am

Hello Gang!

I am curious your take on organizing your files when starting an FCP from scratch. I know I should be capturing the movie clips on an external drive, but I would like some advice on:

1. Where to place all afferent files like photos, audio clips that I will use in my FCP project - should I make a folder with the project name on the external drive (or the local drive)?
2. Where should I actually save the .FCP file? on the local or external drive?

any suggestions greatly appreciated!

thanks a lot!
gabi.

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
Re: File Organization in FCP?
on Oct 2, 2011 at 3:32:28 am

I always put everthing in the same folder, that way you can move a project without any problem.
Put the capture scratch and all the other options in the folder with the project name. Put the photos and music you are going to use in there as well.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Oct 2, 2011 at 9:28:24 am

I do it slightly differently. A folder on the external media drive called [whatever your project is called]. In that are folders for capture scratch, renders, stills, music, etc, with all the media in appropriate folders. Where I differ from Daniel is that I usually have my .fcp project on the local drive and copy it over onto the media drive at the end of each day, so I'm keeping a copy of the project each day. It's a personal habit, but it does mean that if you have a breakdown you can only lose one days work.

Return to posts index

Gabi Bucataru
on Oct 3, 2011 at 1:31:13 am

Thanks a lot Dan & Andrew!

Makes great sense! I also like the idea of having the fcp on th elocal drive than moving it to the external hard drive just in case...

thanks!!
Gabi.

Return to posts index

Louise Macaulay
on Oct 12, 2011 at 6:43:18 pm

When you create a new project and project folder, is there a way to have FCP automatically save the render files for that project in the same location?

If so, will the render manager still work later, assuming all external drives are connected?

Return to posts index

Gabi Bucataru
on Oct 14, 2011 at 4:16:56 pm

[Louise Macaulay] "When you create a new project and project folder, is there a way to have FCP automatically save the render files for that project in the same location?

If so, will the render manager still work later, assuming all external drives are connected?"

Usually you set the scratch discs (including save cache, render, etc) to that particular project folder this way everything will be in one place.

Gabi

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Oct 3, 2011 at 1:42:46 am

Here's what I've been doing, it's been a constantly an evolving process but I've finally got pretty comfortable.

I have three internal 2TB drives in RAID 0 called "Media Drive", I set Capture Scratch in FCP to the root folder of Media Drive. FCP automatically creates folders for Capture Scratch, Render Files etc. right there at the top level. FCP also automatically creates sub-folders in Capture Scratch et al. based on the name of the project that your logging to. This way I have only ONE Capture Scratch folder. All my original media files live there, in folders automatically organized by project and I pretty much don't ever have to change the capture location. I love this.

Also in the root of Media Drive, I create three folders: "All to do shoots", "All done shoots" and "All other stuff".

"All to do shoots" contains a folder I create for each clients project. This is where I put everything related to that job like project files, titles, images, audio, exports etc. (except capture files which are in there own location). Once the edit is finished and delivered, the clients project folder is moved to "All done shoots" keeping it both handy in case a change is needed and out of the way at the same time.

"All other stuff" contains random personal stuff ranging from a folder with all the install files for my plug-ins, Apps etc. (very handy for clean installs) to videos I make for my Mom to show her what I've been up to lately.

Folders get color coded labels. "Capture Scratch" is Yellow, "All to do shoots" is Green, "All done shoots" is Red "All other stuff" is Blue etc.

System drive is currently DRW's "Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion" method with three partitions, "Snow Lepard and FCS3", "Lion and FCS3" and "Lion and FCPX". Typically I replace the system drive with a new one and do a clean install instead of cloning. I keep a couple old system drives on the shelf just in case. If there is a problem I can just throw in the last System Drive. Since I don't keep anything unique on the system drive, just the OS and Apps so I'm never "missing" anything after a clean install. Well, I do leave Autosave Vault in the default location on the system drive. I know where it is if I need it.

I manually back-up to an 8TB LaCie 4Big, just copy one folder from "All XXXX Shoots" and one folder from "Capture Scratch". I "dump" really old projects, that surely won't be needed again, to old internal drives from the shelf using an HDD dock connected via esata. I can then delete said unneeded project from my system (and backup if needed) to free up space.

So when I start a new project I first name the Sequence then immediately save the project and create a new folder in "All To Do Shoots" for the job. Now I'm ready to capture, no need to set the location, FCP will create the folder in Capture Scratch based on the project name. Then it's edit, deliver, move project folder to All done shoots. Next!

Of course this is just what works for me. I don't have to collaborate with anyone throughout my process. I shoot with two cameras, switching live and capturing the mix in Prores on the field. At the office I just create a title, brighten a dark scene, boost a quiet line or whatever is needed. Then burn BD and DVD masters and/or post to Youtube. One man shop. Shoot, edit, deliver. YWMV (Your Workflow May Vary).

Constructive advice is always welcome.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]