FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thinking about going FCP over Premiere. Can FCP do these things?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Lin
Thinking about going FCP over Premiere. Can FCP do these things?
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:08:22 pm

I'm on Windows and really having a difficult time with the clusterduck that is Premiere. As a photographer, I'm used to the streamlined and super batch-oriented direction of Lightroom, which my production environment needs, and I'm not getting it with Lightroom.

1. Applying the same Mark In and Mark Out points to a selection of clips

I have 20 clips. I want every single clip to have a mark in of 2 seconds in, mark out of 2 seconds before the end. Reason being that the first and last 2 seconds is when I'm touching the camera, turning it on or off, and stopping/starting its motion.

Can FCP apply this sort of mark in/out to a selection of clips all in one go?

2. Exporting timeline clips as separate files?

a. I've got 10 random clips that I do NOT want to make into a single movie.

b. I just want to snip and apply video effects to those individual clips.

c. Instead of dragging each clip into the timeline one by one, apply the effects, exporting, removing from timeline, putting second clip into time, apply effects, exporting, etc I want to just drag all 10 clips into the timeline, perhaps apply the same effect to all clips, and during export premiere will export each seperate clip as a separate file.

d. Then I use those 10 seperate files that have now been trimmed and edited for other stuff, such as Animoto.

Is there a quick and efficient way of doing this in FCP?

Return to posts index

Jonan Grobler
Re: Thinking about going FCP over Premiere. Can FCP do these things?
on Oct 5, 2011 at 12:22:01 pm

1. No. Short answer. Neither NLE allows you to do that. You might find some automator script on the web somewhere... doubt it though. Here's a doubtful workaround for Premiere Pro: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/898271

2. To export clips from the timeline (in both NLE's) you have to set in's and out's around each clip and export them one by one (or add them to the queue in Adobe Media Encoder).
In FCP if your playhead is positioned over the clip, you press "X" to set in and out points around the clip in the timeline.
In Premiere Pro it's in the Marker>Set Sequence Marker>
in and out around selection = /
in and out around clip = shift+/

So.... FCP doesn't seem to have any advantage over Premiere in either of your issues.

Hope this helps, and your faith in Adobe is restored....

Regards,
Jonan

Jonan Grobler
Editor/Motion Graphics
GTG MOTION PICTURES
filmstudio.co.za

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]