FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding vs Capturing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
Transcoding vs Capturing
on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:59:49 am

Sorry, pretty basic question, just worth checking-
If you capture as HDV and then transcode to prores 422 using (for example) MPEG Streamclip, will it yield the same quality as when you capture using HDV- Prores 422 in FCP7?

(PS, pls dont start telling me about prores not adding quality etc, Im talking more about transcoding generational degradation, not about why I should transcode to prores- just need to know if by using the HDV-prores capture setting, its essentially just transcoding on capture, rather than afterwards:).

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor,
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Transcoding vs Capturing
on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:34:04 pm

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "If you capture as HDV and then transcode to prores 422 using (for example) MPEG Streamclip, will it yield the same quality as when you capture using HDV- Prores 422 in FCP7?"
When capturing in FC, the transcoding is done in RT while when you convert something on your computer things normally takes longer. I understand that in the second case the process can be done with more precision.
Capturing trough something like an AJA would be a different matter.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Transcoding vs Capturing
on Sep 13, 2011 at 4:43:18 pm

It will probably be the same quality, or the difference will be negligible.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]