FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot install FCS 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Welch
Cannot install FCS 6
on Sep 9, 2011 at 6:02:25 pm

So my boss who knows everything, purchases an iMac without consulting with me. I'm the producer and editor who needs to crank out programming on a daily basis. We are upgrading from a 4 year old iMac running FCP 6 under 10.6

I requested a Mac Pro, external drive, etc, etc. UPS delivers a 27" iMac and so I attempt to install our older version of Final Cut 6. Pop in the install disk and the error window reads, "You can't open the application FinalCutStudio.mpkg because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

The iMac came with OS 10.7 installed. Is this the problem? Why on earth would Apple sell a new iMac or operating sys that cannot run an earlier version of FCS? Do I need to get ver.7 to make this work? No, I'm not considering FCP X!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
Re: Cannot install FCS 6
on Sep 9, 2011 at 6:15:58 pm

You are correct. The installer was created before Macs switched to Intel chips. So the installer will never work for your iMac. (there may be a new Intel installer for FCP 6? But I don't think so)
You're best bet would be to get a hold of FCP 7. I believe they're even still selling some new copies still-buy it quick.

With Apple's switch to FCPX, it makes your options a little more tricky.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Mark Welch
on Sep 9, 2011 at 8:56:07 pm

My 24" iMac does have an Intel chipset. But it is 4 years old. Probably time to switch NLE's and upgrade to a Pro Mac.

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on Sep 10, 2011 at 12:15:33 am

Try using migration assistant and transfer account settings and applications from the mac that has FCS6 installed. I think it is only the installer that is a problem. Migration assistant will transfer the applications with no problem. Works the same as installing.
If you don't want to transfer all the files in the account you can just create a new account and only transfer that account. The applications can still be transferred.

Return to posts index

Mark Welch
on Sep 10, 2011 at 12:26:44 am

Interesting response. We'll try that. Thanks!

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]