FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I re-create this 1970's effect?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Celentano
How can I re-create this 1970's effect?
on Sep 2, 2011 at 4:59:42 pm

I'm trying to recreate the effect used in the beginning of this video below. I want to make something like the colored football players seen here, but for hockey. Can anyone tell me how they did that? or suggest a good filter that can imitate the 70's feel?

ABC Sports intro:

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: How can I re-create this 1970's effect?
on Sep 2, 2011 at 5:31:13 pm

This looks fairly easy.

You take your selected video on a base layer where you apply a key and doutone and video feedback type effect. Then the same video is running "live" in the little window on the corner.

the video underneath looks blown up too. I wouldn't get to fancy with this. I'd get dirty. That looks like a matte key and video feedback shot off a preview montiro probably.


The shortest answer is doing.
Lord Herbert

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: How can I re-create this 1970's effect?
on Sep 2, 2011 at 9:11:17 pm

Far out, man.:-)

I would start with keying the playes, this could be done using a green screen or playing with luminance keying and rotoscoping to cut out a silhouette and add a color fill. The next bit is the visual echo, and back then it would have been most commonly done using an Abekas DVE or ADO, or a couple passes using a Pinnacle Alladin, or a Video Toaster, it is a DVE effect called "trails" or something similar.

I think you can imitate this a couple of ways today. In FCP, there may be an effects plug-in from one of the-third party suppliers like Nosie Industries or Red Giant, etc. to do a trails/afterimage trail. This might also be possible to do using replicators or particle-based replication in an AfterEffects comp or Apple Motion composite. You would have precision keyframed control of the effect in that composite.

A super-cheesy way to do it would be to roll the keyed player shots on a TV monitor with a camera set up in front of it, and set up visual feedback from a camera shooting the monitor, into the switcher rolling the source tape.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved