FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Render - Out of Memory & sequence too large for graphics card popups

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sharon Stephens
Can't Render - Out of Memory & sequence too large for graphics card popups
on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:03:29 pm

Hi,
Working in FCP 6 on G5 Mac Pro desktop, BlackMagic HD Extreme card. Doing first HD project, a documentary with lots of pictures and reenactments, lots of sequences. Put pictures in isolated sequences for nesting later. Overwhelming my abilities in technical area. So two issues currently.

Tried to render some altered pictures, FCP says it's out of memory. Where is it, what can I do to fix it and prevent it from happening?

Also, in same sequences, got a popup saying sequence is too large for graphics card or graphics card doesn't support effects. Sequence length is 4 minutes, but it's all pictures (have not done any effects yet, just crop and rotate a few). Another sequence with dialog footage would not do a gaussian blur because of the graphics card issue. Is BlackMagic my graphics card or something else? Are there settings or image limitations or something else causing these issues?

Haven't really done anything fancy to the footage yet, so I'm worried. Thanks in advance.
Sharon Stephens

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Can't Render - Out of Memory & sequence too large for graphics card popups
on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:23:56 pm

Your photos may be to big. Make sure they are 72dpi. 300dpi is for print and will not make the image better because video is 72dpi. That will take a huge load off of FCP. For the memory try restarting your computer. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Lenard Zsolt
on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:21:25 am

Hi, well if it's about a photo, u should go to adobe photoshop and resize it, and use the settings with RGB, if is a video file with problems, allways convert it to fcp native format (for example: if u have a standard youtube "flv" extension, go to (i use MpegStreamclip), and convert it to (if u have an Apple pro res 422 hq 1920x1080 sequence), to quicktime/apple pro res 422 hq/(in the settings window choose 1920x1080 area), progressive or interlaced (depending on ur sequence settings). It sould be moore than ok :-)

Zsolt

Return to posts index

Sharon Stephens
on Sep 2, 2011 at 4:12:45 pm

Thanks for your highly technical reply. I had to wait to reply this morning when I'm much more functional to understand your message. I've written down the settings to test later, but here's another baby question. How do I find out if my sequence is progressive or interlaced?
Thanks again,
Sharon

Return to posts index

Lenard Zsolt
on Sep 3, 2011 at 1:48:39 am

No question is a baby question :-) ..well in final cut u left clik on the sequence there u have "format options" (or sthing like that), where u will find out about the sequence :-) ..all u have to do is to work with videos wich mach the sequence settings and everything will be ok :-) (my english is not so good maybe that's why u have trouble in understanding) :-), i just wanna help

Zsolt

Return to posts index

Sharon Stephens
on Sep 2, 2011 at 4:04:08 pm

Thanks for the info. I've used large pictures in previous projects, just not so many of them. Just a thought. Since most of the images will not be moving a lot, what if I create a FCP still frame of each picture and replace the tiff/jpg/pdf picture and use that instead. Would the picture quality still be good?
Thanks again,
Sharon

Return to posts index

Lenard Zsolt
on Sep 3, 2011 at 1:56:47 am

If u make a still foto in fcp, it will resize it indeed so being smaller u will never have the same quality, u shoul try after effects or motion for better quality zooms or deep movements on a high quality photo.. If u work in fcp with large pictures u well have a biiiiig render time, if u resize the photo u will have no quality (that's why u sould not do any zoom larger than max 120%).. So.. If u want quality and biiiig zoom, use after effects :-)

Zsolt

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Sep 16, 2011 at 2:31:34 am

Large photos don't do very well in Final Cut - as you're learning.

Scaling your images down in Photoshop is a valid suggestion. Paying attention to your DPI is not a valid suggestion. Video isn't 72dpi, 300dpi, or any specific DPI. 720HD is 720 vertical pixels whether your TV is 7" or 7'. The number of dots per inch changes radically with varying screen sizes. Instead you're concerned with the width and height, in pixels. You said you're working in HD. The frame sizes (using square pixels) are 1920x1080 and 1280x720 for 1080 and 720 HD respectively.

My preferred workflow with several photos to work with them in Motion. Motion is a lot happier with them. You can even put the photos on a Final Cut timeline, then highlight them and select "Send to Motion." Your timing and sequence settings will automatically be correct this way. You can save your work in Motion and immediately find it in Final Cut waiting for you to render. While this works, Motion files on the timeline can cause some instability so I like to export Motion documents and drop the resulting QT movie onto the sequence, or use reconnect media on the Motion document to replace it with the QT movie.

Your error about the sequence being too large is likely due to an incorrect frame size on your sequence settings. Your frame size for HD should be one of the following:
1920x1080
1440x1080
1280x1080
1280x720
960x720
(I think I got all of them.) If it's larger than 1920x1080 it makes perfect sense for you to be erroring out.

Return to posts index

toddbunner
on Jun 27, 2012 at 5:24:24 am

While you are partially correct that one should pay attention to pixels, the previous user does have a valid point at not making the image any larger than 72dpi, as this IS the maximum resolution of video. (if you were to have a 150dpi or 300dpi at 1920x1080 pixels you would just be doubling or quadrupling its resolution from the needed 72dpi, which is all that is needed). Its a screen resolution, and Photoshop even currently has a default setting of 1920x1080 at 72dpi for the default HD video setting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]