FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor setting to keep 1920x1280 size, but render much smaller file for laptop/iMac viewing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Underwood
Compressor setting to keep 1920x1280 size, but render much smaller file for laptop/iMac viewing?
on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:39:52 pm

The export>quicktime setting seems to equal approx 1gig/min of footage rendered. I want to render a 25min sequence that will look good on laptop or new iMac 27" but at 1/4 that file size of less. Is there a 'quicktime conversion setting' in FCP or a Compressor recipe someone could point me to? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Compressor setting to keep 1920x1280 size, but render much smaller file for laptop/iMac viewing?
on Sep 1, 2011 at 3:35:41 am

Maybe. If you're running h.264, you could use the Youtube preset, which should give you a data rate of around 20mb/s and should result in a file of around 3gb in size. This is with compressor 5; let us know if it's an earlier version.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
Re: Compressor setting to keep 1920x1280 size, but render much smaller file for laptop/iMac viewing?
on Sep 1, 2011 at 2:38:32 pm

To clarify, the sequence I'm exporting is ProRes422, so the H.264 comment is unclear to me. (I'm aware that it's what the footage was before conversion...) FYI, I'm using Compressor v3.53...

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Sep 1, 2011 at 3:11:07 pm

Stephen, I don't think you can do what you want and use ProRes.
ProRes Proxy will run you about 3-4 min/GB (that's the most compressed ProRes.)

So you need to encode to another format to meet your goal - of 25 min into 1 Gig and have it playable on a system.

If you send your work to Compressor, you can use the Youtube preset, which will make an h.264 QuickTime file that will meet your needs - something that is significantly smaller, but looks great during playback.

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Sep 1, 2011 at 3:49:36 pm

Thanks Jeff... Tried a 2.1gig movie, 'YouTube' preset compressed it to 111mb, but also reduced to 1280x720. Is there a way to keep it at original 1920x1280 dimension?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Sep 1, 2011 at 3:50:37 pm

Sure is! Go to the geometry tab and change the sizing to 1920x1080.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Sep 1, 2011 at 5:13:38 pm

Rendered w/YouTube setting at 1920x1280 and it looks great... Thanks!

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Aug 31, 2011 at 5:20:16 pm

H.264 is robust and universally compatible file format for cross-platform video delivery.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]