FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to extract short clips?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Othelwaite
How to extract short clips?
on Aug 20, 2011 at 11:24:10 pm

I have an idea for an editing project I'd like to do: a montage of clips from my collection of classic westerns. What I'd like to do is to be able to first extract a short clip or clips from a movie - maybe less than 10 seconds per clip - ending up with a collection of small video files that I can then import into FCP and edit with that. The trouble with using FCP itself to extract the short clips is that importing the entire movie first - before you extract anything- inevitably takes up giant chunks of hard drive space.

Does anyone have any suggestions for software that can extract clips like this? I have tried the otherwise excellent VLC's "bookmarking" technique but it fails miserably. I resorted to that first because VLC plays any format - and my collection has many different video format files. Ideally any clip extracting software would play more than just DVD files. I'm finding it very frustrating that there doesn't seem to be an easy solution to this. Any help would be appreciated. Mac or PC - but Mac preferably.

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
Re: How to extract short clips?
on Aug 21, 2011 at 3:05:27 am

Download and buy cinematize. You can Export the DVDs as Prores. :)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 21, 2011 at 9:27:13 am

[Eric Othelwaite] "a montage of clips from my collection of classic westerns. What I'd like to do is to be able to first extract a short clip or clips from a movie - maybe less than 10 seconds per clip - ending up with a collection of small video files that I can then import into FCP and edit with that. The trouble with using FCP itself to extract the short clips is that importing the entire movie first - before you extract anything- inevitably takes up giant chunks of hard drive space. "
What kind of movies are you talking about?
QT files, VHS tapes, DVDs?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Eric Othelwaite
on Aug 21, 2011 at 3:06:13 pm

DVD's, avi files, mkv files - a variety of formats.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 21, 2011 at 9:57:52 pm

Mpeg Streamclip is free, and can handle much of this right from the main interface: open a file, set in and out on the mini timeline, export.

If I have another child, I will name them after MPEG Streamclip, and I don't care if that gets them beat up at school or not.

Return to posts index

Eric Othelwaite
on Aug 22, 2011 at 5:28:04 pm

thanks Mark. I downloaded it and installed. It fails to show image or play sound on the 1st 2 avi's I dragged into it. Shame - it looked promising and easy to use.

Return to posts index

Eric Othelwaite
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:51:00 pm

sorry - spoke too soon. I needed to install codec to get it to work. Installed them and now I indeed have a great solution to this - thanks for the recommendation. Easy peasy clip-making!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 22, 2011 at 9:59:28 pm

Try it both ways with mpeg streamclip: drag the DVD icon to the dice-like logo and drop it on there, and also try the file>open dialog.

Return to posts index

Laura Wood
on Aug 31, 2011 at 1:34:32 am

hello,
Eric
And it can aslo convert to Prores for FCP after triming. :P

-------------------------------------------------
Laura
Laura Wood

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>