FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stuttering playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Austin
Stuttering playback
on Aug 16, 2011 at 7:37:03 pm

Hi, I imported some footage (native M2T) & transcoded to Pro Res. They usually play back OK in the viewer but once loaded to the timeline, appear kind of jittery or "steppy". Sort of like when one changes the RT playback video quality to medium or low. (Which I have not changed.) It plays in real time & the audio is fine.

I'm thinking that perhaps that realtime playback is giving my RAM a run for its money, but I have 5 gigs -- enough for full HD. Sometimes, when I output a clip it looks fine. Other times, the .mov file reveals the same jitter. Does anyone know how to fix this, without having to re-transcode a feature's worth of footage? Thanks!!!

info - FCP 7, RT unlimited/dynamic quality. (I tried other variation with same result.) Mac Pro quad core, OSX Leopard 10.6.8, 2.66 GHz. All software updated. Not running other apps while editing. Transcoded M2T to Pro Res, 1920 by 1080 @ 23.98 frames -- same as it was shot.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: Stuttering playback
on Aug 16, 2011 at 9:47:52 pm

5Gb RAM isn't really enough for full HD so that may be your problem ... especially if you're talking several layers and/or layers with effects on them ... remember the O/S needs some RAM too.

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Aug 16, 2011 at 10:27:05 pm

Well I've cut HD at full rez before, including Red 4K -- same setup, at full rez with no problem.

BTW there are no layers, just straight cuts & dissolves. If this is a RAM/playback issue why then would some of the files I export also have the same problem? FCP is not outputting in real time, trying to maintain pace.

So aside from retransfer, any suggestions out there?

Should I just media manage the locked cut to another drive and build it again? Thanks!

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:58:15 am

[Steven Austin] If this is a RAM/playback issue why then would some of the files I export also have the same problem?

Do you mean you're playing back the exports without using RAM? Could be a drive speed issue or I/O bottleneck too ... same symptoms, but all have less to do with player issues outside the NLE ... most any resources issues will cause HD exports to stutter in QuickTime Player. Since you've never experienced the issue before with full-rez work, perhaps focus on what you have changed about your machine since then.

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Aug 17, 2011 at 1:30:45 am

I haven't changed anything. I was viewing the exported .mov file when I imported it back into the timeline, not via Quicktime.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]