FORUMS: list search recent posts

I-movie 8.0.6 mixed with FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Strader
I-movie 8.0.6 mixed with FCP7
on Aug 4, 2011 at 3:21:18 pm

I posted this in the HDV forums, I apologize for double posting. After I posted it I started fretting that "what if nobody there works with FCP" I'm sure they do but I'm a fretter.

In FCP7 HDV always acts buggy on capture. It normally takes 7 seconds to finally capture after I click the capture button, so I've learned to just time things right while I'm taping. But sometimes a capture will stop, put a clip in the bin, and start capturing again like a separate clip was set to capture. Even if it was intended to be one continuous capture.

One day out of curiosity I opened up I-movie, which I still don't know to this day. I found the capture feature, it was pretty limited. But it allowed me to capture "Full Frame Size" or something like that, I'd have to open it back up to remember exactly what it said.

And it all capture perfectly , no stops or anything. It captured as long as I wanted it to.

But when I imported it back into FCP and I looked at the logging settings, it wasn't 1280x720. It was 853 x 480. Definitely not full frame :)

I'm using 2 cameras. One JVC HDV300U , one JVC 110

The 300U is SD based and I just drag the files in. Those files are 1280 x 720. The 110 is tape based and can tape different HDV formats, I normally just keep it at 72030p.

The simple fix is to go back to FCP7 and recapture the tape footage in it's original settings, and just deal with the constant breaking issues in capture.

But I DUN WANNA :)

So when I render this full concert out, what do I do? Just render it out to regular NTSC DV size at 720 x 486?

When I rendered out an edited file to 1280 x 720, the footage captured from I-movie at the smaller frame size definitely showed. Here is the video. It's the Wide Shot footage that was all captured by I-movie (that was originally 72030p)

I do have some filters on the wide shot footage, maybe that's why it looks grainy or messed up. The two cameras wouldn't look the exact same when I white balanced them together. And those lights were super hot right up in the band members faces.

Vinnie

Vinnie
---
24, LOST, Prison Break, FRINGE, Supernatural, DEXTER, Breaking Bad, CHUCK, Flash Forward, HEROES...even SMALLVILLE in the latter seasons.. they've all ruined my movie going experience by being better than so many movies out today.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: I-movie 8.0.6 mixed with FCP7
on Aug 7, 2011 at 8:47:22 pm

Vinnie,

It sounds like the files weren't correctly captured in iMovie.

Yes, go back to FCP7.

FCP7 is keeping track of the timecode breaks. HDV is rough on timecode breaks and needs 4-6 seconds to get the speed (preroll.)

Open up the prefs in FCP7 and remove Abort capture on dropped frames and see if that helps. Also play with the On Timecode break switch.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]