FORUMS: list search recent posts

Struggling with basic photo editing from Photoshop to FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Winn
Struggling with basic photo editing from Photoshop to FCP 7
on Jul 26, 2011 at 1:29:58 pm

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting it 'right' when bringing in PS graphics to use in FCP 7.

I've created several 1280x720 images (we display on the weekends in a widescreen format) in PS. But when I bring them in to FCP 7, they are getting stretched vertically.

My FCP 7 easy setup is on Pro res, but I believe that gets overridden anytime you drop something in the timeline & let it set the sequence. That actually doesn't happen here, just a red bar for rendering when I drop a PSD file into the FCP timeline (then it's stretched as I mentioned). So I started trying to set my timeline to HDV 720p which stated it was 1280x720, but then the

I've tried exporting a psd, png, and tiff to see if it would make a difference and it's a mixed bag with none of it being right. For example...
This morning I brought in a tiff at the size mentioned above and, in the timeline (1280x720), with the file un-rendered, it was the correct size and looked crisp. As soon as I rendered it, the resolution was terrible, no longer crisp. Then I exported it as a test and not only was the resolution bad, but the video was stretched horizontally now.

Since photo editing in a NLE is a basic function, I'm mystified as to why, with such powerful tools, I can't get it to work right. I feel like I'm just doing one or two things wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Sean

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Struggling with basic photo editing from Photoshop to FCP 7
on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:36:46 pm

[Sean Winn] "I've created several 1280x720 images (we display on the weekends in a widescreen format) in PS. But when I bring them in to FCP 7, they are getting stretched vertically."
Make sure they show with "Square pixels" in the Browser.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:43:03 pm

Rafael,
Thanks for the reply - can you tell me how to do that?
Does that mean if they show with square pixels in the browser that when dragged into the timeline it will show correctly?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 26, 2011 at 7:35:00 pm

[Sean Winn] "Does that mean if they show with square pixels in the browser that when dragged into the timeline it will show correctly?"
Right.
Photoshop uses square pixels unless you set a different aspect.
If your sequence is 1280x720 SQ pixels, the still should fit the canvas without resizing or distortion. No Black bars.
rafael

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on Jul 26, 2011 at 7:48:36 pm

Rafael, thanks for getting back.

Ok, I set the sequence settings to 'square pixels'. The PSD files were still distorted but the PNG & Tiff files of the same image were showing correctly now. I'm starting to figure out what I did wrong.

ONE MORE QUESTION that's troubling to me....

Why, when I render the PNG or Tiff files does the quality in the canvas degrade after rendering?

Thanks again,
S

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 26, 2011 at 9:07:08 pm

[Sean Winn] "Why, when I render the PNG or Tiff files does the quality in the canvas degrade after rendering?"
Set the Canvas at 100%, if the picture doesn't look good, try setting Prores as your sequence codec, and "Render in High Precission".
rafael

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on Jul 26, 2011 at 9:16:59 pm

Rafael,
That did the trick. As soon as I set the compressor to ProRes LT, everything in the timeline rendered with no degradation in the image.

Thanks for your time..
Sean

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on Jul 29, 2011 at 7:37:17 pm

I usually choose "deinterlace" under the filters menu if I've imported a tiff or png into my FCP timeline. De-interlace is under filters, and then the last filter option, video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]