Photo Mosaic in Final cut express

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karl Hans e Greuy
Photo Mosaic in Final cut express
on Jul 19, 2011 at 8:39:55 pm

Hi everyone, hope someone can help.

Excuse me if I do not know the appropriate jargon;

I am just finishing editing a wedding video for my cousin and to end it I wanted to put in a photo mosaic. I've used MacOSaix to design my photo exported, using different sizes and formats, I tried jpeg, png, and tiff and all different sizes as big as 20,000 x 13,333 pixels.

When I put on to my timeline in FCE the image is fine but when I zoom in (increase scale in motion tab) the pictures are all fuzzy and poor quality. I wanted to zoom in and slowly zoom out showing all pictures taken during the day and when zoomed out fully the picture of the couple is revealed.

I know this can be done as I saw a video on youtube where the guy said he just used MacOSaix and FCE. I mailed the video creator but he has not replied.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Photo Mosaic in Final cut express
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:56:06 am

[Karl Hans e Greuy] " using different sizes and formats, I tried jpeg, png, and tiff and all different sizes as big as 20,000 x 13,333 pixels."
The bigger the picture, the harder the task for FC.

[Karl Hans e Greuy] "When I put on to my timeline in FCE the image is fine but when I zoom in (increase scale in motion tab) the pictures are all fuzzy and poor quality. I wanted to zoom in and slowly zoom out showing all pictures taken during the day and when zoomed out fully the picture of the couple is revealed.

I know this can be done as I saw a video on youtube where the guy said he just used MacOSaix and FCE. I mailed the video creator but he has not replied."

Try, try, try.
FCP is not very good for those tasks; FCE is even more limited: lower quality codecs and render options.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:46:08 pm

You might want to hand off this job to a third party app like Boinx Photomagico.

Return to posts index

Karl Hans e Greuy
on Jul 21, 2011 at 6:06:13 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I was able to get in touch with the guy who had the video up on youtube so hopefully he can help me through it.

It's just so frustrating I mean I can look at the photo in Preview and zoom right into an individual image losing only minimal quality yet when I put the same image into FCE it just looks awful with only a slight zoom. Adding to the frustration is the fact that when I import other images into my timeline I can zoom in nearly 10 times the original image size and it is still watchable quality. I would have thought the opposite would be true seeing as the mosaic is made up of 1000+ smaller images but alas its doesn't seem to be. Anyone know why or am I doing something wrong?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:21:44 pm

It has to be the codec and resolution settings you're making. In othermwords, "pilot error". The larger and higher-rez your imaeg files are to start with, the smoother and better you can do zooms. Of course, make the files ridiculously large and you're just wasting drive space, past a certain image size. Thhe codec you edit in needs to be one that's more friendly to the higher rez as well. The DV codec is I think what Express defaults to, and this is not a graphics-friendly codec, with 4:1:1 compression.

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Jul 23, 2011 at 5:45:35 pm

Yes; if you're editing in DV, try a test sequence with AIC and compare at 100%.

Russ

Return to posts index

Karl Hans e Greuy
on Jul 23, 2011 at 7:41:44 pm

May have got it sorted just waiting on export to see how it looks. I'll write down the steps I took if it does indeed work, incase anyone else has this problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]