FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-encode then re-encode then re-encode

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Freddie Hill
Re-encode then re-encode then re-encode
on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:35:07 am

Hello, im a basic FCP user, and i'm having trouble with a codec issue.

I have some footage that's full HD H.264 and I want to edit it in FCP. H.264 is horrendous to edit with cause of the rendering time. What's the best codec to re-encode to for editing?

Also, i'm a vj and will be exporting my edited files out of FCP with the Jpeg codec (a good codec to run video for live playback so I can't change this). I will downsize the resolution.

1. If I put up with the rendering times I will have a encoding workflow of:
Full HD H.264 --> Jpeg 864x480 (this is my downsized resolution)

2. If I encode to the editing codec:
Full HD H.264 --> FCP codec for editing --> Jpeg 864x480

If I use the 2nd workflow, adding a third encode, will the P Jpeg final outcome footage be less quality than if I used the 1st workflow?

I don't want to use the Jpeg codec live files for editing because I want to keep the archived edits as highest resolution as I can. I don't have access to the original H.264 files to change them.

Sorry if that's confusing, but I don't know whether to just put up with the render times because i'm scared of re-encoding and losing quality out of the final video. Hope someone can shine a light on this!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Re-encode then re-encode then re-encode
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:40:13 am

[Freddie Hill] "I have some footage that's full HD H.264 and I want to edit it in FCP. H.264 is horrendous to edit with cause of the rendering time. What's the best codec to re-encode to for editing?"
H264 as the rest of MP4 based stuff is not supported by FC.
Please search Shane Ross´s manual on "Tapeless workflows".

Your best option codec is Prores. You will have RT which you won´t get with JPEG.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jul 18, 2011 at 1:00:37 pm

You are making things WAY too hard.

Convert your H.264 footage to ProRes with Compressor in advance.
Keep it the frame size and rate you shot it.

After editing, then resize and compress to delivery spec.

JPEG is an AWFUl compressor for video. H.264 is widely used for event playback.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Freddie Hill
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:26:41 pm

Okay I understand now. Thankyou for the advice.
By encoding from H.264 to pro res and then to jpeg will I lose quality out of the final jpeg codecs than if I just encode from H.264 to Jpeg?

I'm using jpeg because I manipulate the playback of clips in realtime so i need a codec that can key every frame & not a progressive one.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:54:55 pm

This is not my area of expertise, but I used to edit SD for years in motionjpeg on my Discrete, and many stock footage house provide their HD stock in Motionjpeg, albeit at highest quality setting. So it can't be all that horrible, can it? Sure, it's not as modern. But why would stock houses choose to use it if it was that inferior? I'm aking becasue I really am curious.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:25:17 pm

Because it is broadly compatible. Doesn't make it less inferior.

Ancient technology.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 18, 2011 at 6:16:19 pm

[Freddie Hill] "By encoding from H.264 to pro res and then to jpeg will I lose quality out of the final jpeg codecs than if I just encode from H.264 to Jpeg?

I'm using jpeg because I manipulate the playback of clips in realtime so i need a codec that can key every frame & not a progressive one."

PhotoJpeg at 75% is a great option (yuv/422).
You can transcode and edit in this code.
What may cause you problems for RT performance is the no-standard size you intend.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]