FORUMS: list search recent posts

Planning project properties

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk Pitts
Planning project properties
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:42:58 pm

I am going to make a personal skateboarding documentary. In the 70's I was part of a big group of skateboarders who skated and competed through-out the southeast. We recently had a 30 year reunion and I showed a film/dvd that I made using FCP 4 and video that was digitized to vhs tape. I added photo slideshows but did not combine photos and video at that time. I combined video and photo many times before but this project will be much larger so I want to start right from the beginning.

I have photos that I've scanned and have received from others via email. A variety of resolutions and dpi. Most I have color corrected and cleaned up in photoshop. I also have about 24 roles of old 8mm film that was digitized and recorded to dvd. I have converted the .vob files to .dv for a previous project but I still have the original disks and .vob files.

I recently purchased FCP studio 3. I've been using FCP since version 1 and have been using FCP 5 before I upgraded but mostly for short videos for home and for retirement and school celebration type of things.

I am asking for advice on how I should prepare the photos and video for this project. The final video will be output to SD for a DVD and also the web and/or youtube.

Should I use the .dv files or convert the video to pro-res or use another format?
Should I batch process the digitized pictures to a common size?

What settings should I use for the sequence.

Thanks
Kirk

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Planning project properties
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:16:25 pm

What is the size/format of the bulk of your footage?
MiniDV SD NTSC 48k ?

Launch a new FCP project.
Choose the easy setup DV NTSC 48k.

Capture your DV footage native.
Your sequence will be 720x480. If you are NOT creating moves on the stills. Make em about that size. 72dpi. RGB.
If you are creating moves on the stills double the size.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on Jul 16, 2011 at 12:05:20 am

The original files on the dvd are 640 X 480 mpeg2 muxed. There is no audio because the old 8mm films didn't record audio. I have done various conversions over time to clean up the original footage in photoshop but always the content is 640X480 in either quicktime or quicktime dv. I'm just wondering if I should convert the video to another format ahead of time that will work better when combining photos.
Yes I will be using movement with the photos.

Here is a short segment of one of the videos.
Thanks again. I just want to make good decisions to start with since this will be a long process.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:30:21 pm

You need to convert that footage.
Convert it to DV50 720x480. Or prores 720X480.
Then import the clips for editing.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:31:35 pm

You need to convert that footage.
Convert it to DV50 720x480. Or prores 720X480.
Then import the clips for editing.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 16, 2011 at 9:27:21 pm

[Kirk Pitts] "Should I use the .dv files or convert the video to pro-res or use another format?
Should I batch process the digitized pictures to a common size?"

".DV" never. Tha´s a "DV Sequence" file. A format proprietary of iMovie.

[Kirk Pitts] "The original files on the dvd are 640 X 480 mpeg2 muxed."
Download "Mpgstreamclip" and convert the MPEG-2 files to a good codec (At least DVCpro50, as Chris suggests. I prefer Prores, or bettr 8b Uncompressed).
Have a look to the "Stream info" and keep the original setting (size, field order, time-base).
Convert the MP2 audio to PCM-16b-48Khz.
BTW, your MPEG-2 is 720x480, even if its shows 640x480.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on Jul 17, 2011 at 1:31:33 am

Is Mpgstreamclip better than the apple mpeg2 encoders? I bought the Apple encoder some years back to convert the files. I've already converted them to .dv files, I was just wondering if FCP works better with another codec than dv.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 17, 2011 at 1:41:27 pm

Go back to original files. Do not convert to .dv files.
See advise above.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:33:01 am

[Kirk Pitts] "Is Mpgstreamclip better than the apple mpeg2 encoders?"
Mpgstreamclip is not an mpeg encoder. Is used mostly to decode mpegs and convert to QT and a tool that you can not miss. Is free download.

[Kirk Pitts] "I bought the Apple encoder some years back to convert the files. I've already converted them to .dv files, I was just wondering if FCP works better with another codec than dv."
You need to convert to QT (.mov) so you can edit that native in FC.
".dv" can´t be edited native in FC.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]