FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for multi-frame rate and for NTSC+PAL?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rupert Shanks
Workflow for multi-frame rate and for NTSC+PAL?
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:36:52 pm

Hi,

Im new to video and found the people here so helpful so please bear with me! I will be working at a ski lodge this winter and have to provide a DVD including stills to guests at the end of their stay each week. (Them skiing and generally having fun on holiday).

I will be using Canon 550d and GoPro cameras. Heres how I plan to do it-

1. Film in 1080p 24fps and 720p 50fps for slow motion on the Canon. Film in 1080p 30fps and 720p 60fps for slowmo on the GoPro.
2. Batch edit files using Mpeg Streamclip to Prores 422. (Also convert the GoPro 30fps clips to 24fps).
3. Create slow mo clips - Make duplicates of the Prores 50fps Canon and 60fps GoPro clips and conform to 24fps using Cinema Tools.
(So I now have most of my clips at 24fps and 2 versions of the slow mo clips. If I want to use the 50fps and 60fps clips as real time versions, I`ll convert them to 24fps using Streamclip separately).
4. Import all to FCP 7 in a 24fps timeline.
5. Edit throughout the week as I do more filming each day.
6. Send to DVD Studio Pro and create DVDs for guests in NTSC format. (Guests will be from all over the world so it seems best to just create NTSC DVDs as I understand European players can play NTSC better than other way round.)

Do I need to do anything to convert the 1080p clips to 720p? Or will FCP handle this automatically when I add them to the same timeline?

Does this seem a sensible way to do it? I really want it to be as quick and efficient as possible while still getting good quality. I can only edit the footage for an hour or two every evening.

Any tips or suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: Workflow for multi-frame rate and for NTSC+PAL?
on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:02:33 pm

First rebuttal: No in Europe PAL is TV standard and all players are more likely to handle it more naturally than NTSC. Though I guess it's almost irrelevant now since last generation of DVD players can play NTSC/PAL without a problem.
Secondly, why you can't shoot either NTSC or PAL with both cameras. Stick to something homogenous.
Third, I don't understand your obsession with 24 fps. Do you think it'll add up to production value of your footage?
I don't like how FCP handles all slo-mo thing. May be you have better idea so I trust others to shade some light on it.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Rupert Shanks
on Jul 15, 2011 at 8:03:23 pm

Thanks for answering.
I know PAL is used in Europe but the DVDs I'll be making will be going to both regions. I thought NTSC works better in PAL areas than PAL DVDs in NTSC areas?
Unfortunately the gopro can only shoot 60 or 30 fps. The Canon can only shoot 50, 25, or 24 fps.
I thought doing it in 24 would be good idea because this is standard film format and most TVs around the world will play it reasonably well. Is that correct?

Does that answer your rebuttals or have I misunderstood? Any other thoughts much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:13:55 pm

As you rephrased your PAL/NTSC notion now it seems a plausible idea. Sorry, i don't use 550d and my suggestion was made on a false premise that it can shoot 30/60 fps.
Having two cameras shooting different frame rates is a game-changer. With this deck at the table I guess your workflow is supposed to work ok.
TV's ain't work with 24 fps. Though it's pretty convenient DI for it's much more easier to convert it into either 29.97 or 25 fps.

Return to posts index

Rupert Shanks
on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:23:09 pm

What do I need to do before creating NTSC DVD in 24fps to ensure it can play well on TVs? I've read a bit about 3:2 pull down but it's not that clear to me?

Also, will the convert of gopro clips from 30fps to 24fps be ok in Mpeg Streamclip?

Thanks again for your time!

Return to posts index

Rupert Shanks
on Jul 16, 2011 at 12:32:22 am

I've just realisei can shoot 60fps and 30fps on the canon! So am now wondering whether to:

1) film at 24 and 60fps and then convert/conform everything to 24fps for the timeline. Find out how best to create an NTSC DVD from this?
2) film at 30fps and 60 fps and then convert/conform everything to 30fps for the timeline. Export to NTSC DVD at 30fps?
3) film everything at 60fps and the export to NTSC DVD interlaced?

If I want to use my slowmo clips in real time (which were conformed from 60fps to 30 or 24) can I just speed them up in fcp?

Can anyone chip in with some nuggets Of wisdom? I should just be testing for myself but have cracked my laptop screen and will only have a day before job starts. Boo hoo I know.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:53:58 am

Glad you cracked Canon menu at last.
In this case I'd work only with NTSC 30/60. 30 for anything that ain't require slo-mo.
No conversions/conforming to 24 fps unless you have solid rock reason for doing it.
This way you shoot 30/60, edit 30/60, export for DVD 30fps.
This is very straightforward workflow given you haven't fully tested more complicated one yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]