FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and Transfer - 2 formats: GF1 and Canon 5D

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Gentry
Log and Transfer - 2 formats: GF1 and Canon 5D
on Jul 5, 2011 at 8:16:39 am

I have a mundane question and I'm sure there is a simple answer. I have footage from a Canon 5D (1920 x 1280, 25FPS).
I have B-roll from a Panasonic GF1 (1280 x 720, 29.97 FPS).

I would like to edit at Pro Res 422, 25 FPS.

What is the best way to convert the 29.97 FPS footage? I will need a final output for both Vimeo and DVD.

Is FCS Compressor the answer? Or am I over-complicating this?

I'm very new to the FCP system, am excited about it, but am a bit confused after taking a few years off from editing!

Thanks in advance!

Douglas

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Log and Transfer - 2 formats: GF1 and Canon 5D
on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:40:22 pm

Edit in Pro Res 422, 25 FPS.
Drop some of the GF1 footage into your 25fps sequence and see how it performs. Might not be a problem at all. Otherwise, ya run it thru compressor.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Douglas Gentry
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:24:16 pm

Chris,

I'm just getting my head around FCP and Compressor in general, so I really appreciate the response.

I was able to convert the GF1 footage to 25 FPS, Sq pixels, at 1920x1080 as a Quicktime movie. I can "drag and drop it" into the project, plays fine. Strange thing is that I can't use log and transfer to bring it in. Is this the normal workflow? It would seem that log and transfer would be a more "normal" way to bring it in in case media goes offline, etc.

Should I just drag and drop all of the media now that it is converted, or did I forget something wrong where log and transfer will not work properly?

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:24:37 pm

If you converted the GF1 footage outside of FCP. Then you should have mov files sitting on your hard drive. You do not L&T movie files. You just import them into you proj.
L&T is for card media. There is a good tutorial here on the cow for working with tapeless:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Douglas Gentry
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:02:07 pm

Cheers Chris!

Douglas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved