FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes 422 (HQ) to an 8-bit & 10-bit versions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Pomales
ProRes 422 (HQ) to an 8-bit & 10-bit versions
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:02:32 pm

Hello and thanks for reading...

I am a FCP newbie and THIS is definitely a newbie question...

I am hoping someone can help me figure out how to go from (export) a ‘master’ file encoded with ProRes 422 (HQ) to an 8-bit version (Photo-JPEG is preferred) AND a 10-bit ProRes 422 (HQ) version.

I'm a still photographer diving in and doing my best to learn this software, but am under the gun, and need to expedite figuring this out, while still maintaining a respect for learning this software properly.

Thanks for your time.. You will see me here a lot starting today... I appreciate your patience and help!

A.J.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: ProRes 422 (HQ) to an 8-bit & 10-bit versions
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:35:54 pm

You can change the sequence settings.
Then re-render.
OR
You can export the sequence using "Current Settings"
Take that file into compressor and create the deliverables.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

A.J. Pomales
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:51:07 pm

Thank you for your quick response, Chris...

I have tried to change "sequence settings" and my apologies, but I do not see any setting under the individual tabs that are referencing 8-bit OR 10-bit (which is my main confusion). Most other things are falling into place, minus finding where those settings are established/selected.

The second part of your answer, exporting the sequence using "Current Settings"
Take that file into compressor all makes sense up to the "create the deliverables" process. Here again, I see nothing selction or option wise that references 8-bit or 10-bit... If it's a codec, I am hard put to figure out which one.

Which leads to another question... Why am I unable to see whether a file is 8-bit or 10-bit using "inspector"...

Thanks for what you were able to answer. I appreciate the guidance.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 2, 2011 at 9:34:42 am

[A.J. Pomales] "Which leads to another question... Why am I unable to see whether a file is 8-bit or 10-bit using "inspector"..."
Think that most usual codecs are 8b.
10b codecs are used for high quality acquisition and postproduction, and can be Uncompressed (10b Apple, AJA, BM, Sheer,..) or compressed like Prores or the AVID DNxHD. PANASONIC AVC-Intra is another one.
Have a look at this:
http://www.onerivermedia.com/codecs/
The list is a bit old, but still valid, just add the Prores, AVID DNxHD, AVC-Intra, Cineform and few others.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:44:53 pm

[Anthony Pomales] "I am hoping someone can help me figure out how to go from (export) a ‘master’ file encoded with ProRes 422 (HQ) to an 8-bit version (Photo-JPEG is preferred) AND a 10-bit ProRes 422 (HQ) version"
Import the movie to FC and drop it on a new sequence. Conform the Sequence to the footage.
- Change the sequence codec to PhotoJpeg at 75% quality.
- Export.
PhotoJpeg is always 8b, so no problem.
Prores is always 10b, so you have the file ready.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

A.J. Pomales
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:53:03 pm

Brilliant! I assumed as much, but found nothing definitive (and you know what they say about assuming ;-)...

THANKS A LOT, RAFAEL!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 1, 2011 at 10:29:44 pm

It's right there in your sequence settings, 8 and 10 bit UC:

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

A.J. Pomales
on Jul 5, 2011 at 2:46:27 pm

Thank you MUCH for the added effort, Chris...

I did note those myself, but they were uncompressed. I have to use ProRes 422 (1920x1080) for my 10b. PhotoJpeg was one of my options for 8b (now that I know it is 8b). Both need to be "compressed" (I apologize if I didn't mention that sooner).

I had previously used them in my settings, but wasn't till Friday with the guidance from everyone that things were confirmed for me (that Photojpeg was indeed 8b)...

I do appreciate your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]