FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu Ray Dub From FC Output

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Fanjoy
Blu Ray Dub From FC Output
on Jun 29, 2011 at 1:37:41 am

I create Blu Ray DVD's from my FC projects using Toast. All seems to work well. However, I notice that the file size in the Toast window compared to the original stand alone QT file is hugely different. In this example, a QT file converts from 22gigs to 1.6gigs when I drag into the Toast prep window.

Is this typical and normal? My logic, albeit layman, would say the media and picture is being severely compressed and thus the quality compromised. Seems a waste and shame to burn 1.6gigs onto a 25gig disk.

Project specs snapshot below in case it helps:
Movie Length: 28 mins

Mark Fanjoy

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Blu Ray Dub From FC Output
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:52:32 am

That's because your raw material runs at ProRes LT sizes (approx 100mb/s or about 1 gig a minute) but for BluRay, you're working in an MPEG2 or an MPEG4 (h.264) file - which can get 10 or 20x the compression. So 20 to about 1.5 sounds right.

You could let it be 'less' compressed than it is by setting the Blu Ray compression to be 'less' compressed (up to a point.) Also, at that size, you could trying burning to a standard DVD-5 - and it may work on some BluRay players (this is called an AVCHD-Disc)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:12:51 am

Thanks, Jeff. At least I know now not to be surprised by the size difference.

If I figure out in Toast where the "less compressed function is, will that improve the viewing quality?

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 29, 2011 at 12:53:39 pm

That's the subjective question. If it looks good...who cares (except us, the media creator purchasing the blank bluray that is mostly empty.

Best,

Jeff G

------------
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:48:04 am

Cool. Thanks Jeff. Appreciate your support.

I hope I'm not pushing it with the non-FC question, but do you have any idea where to point me for the that Toast function to lessen the compression? I don't see it. If not, no worries.

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:40:26 am

Not a problem Mark - lucky I own toast. This is for Toast 11, 10 should be similar.

On the Options (Bottom left of the DVD authoring screen) theel's a button that says encoding automatic/custom. Pick custom.
Then I had to press a button that said 'more'

This brought open a dialog box with three tabs: Dis, Menus, Encoding.

On the encoding tab, it needs to be switched from Automatic.

Now that it's in custom, I have the ability to change the bit rate for my DVD - it's set by default (better) at 4.0 mb/s. You can try cranking it up as high as 7. Do not adjust the maximum, do not set it higher than 7.

The math is 560/# of minutes = bit rate (when the audio is set to dolby digitial.)

So, if I had 60 (or less) minutes of video, 560/60 = 9.333333
The hard limit on a DVD is 9 mb/s; but that doesn't include the necessary space for audio.
8 mb/s is a safe choice.

If you have more than 80 minutes, that number has to drop from 7, to be able to fit your video on a DVD.

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:48:51 pm

Jeff, you 'da maaan! Love this site!

Thank you!

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved