FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie Questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henry Finley
Newbie Questions
on Jun 25, 2011 at 10:36:23 pm

Hi. I am an absolute newbie. I thought I knew what I was doing but this is a little more complicated than I thought. I own an HVX-200 and I have Final Cut Pro 7.

I do not know what people are referring to when they say 720/30p, 1080p, 1080i, etc. All I know is I just started shooting the stuff I needed to film, with whatever settings were on the camera. Now I have to learn Final Cut Pro, and the first thing that all these tutorial videos are telling me is that you have to put in all these settings so Final Cut Pro knows what it's working with. I had no idea, so when the 'Easy Setup' comes up, I just left it on whatever it was set as. (I'm guessing it's one of the DVCPROHD ones... but what about the numbers after: 720 or 1080? etc.)
I watched another tutorial that was saying to right click on the clips in the Browser and do Media Manager then recompress to Apple ProRes 422 something something something. Is this the same as the 'Easy Setup' or is this a different step?

I hope this gives an idea of where my knowledge stands. So now, what do I need to do to understand this stuff? How do I find out what settings I shot in? What do they even mean (720/30p, 1080/60p, etc)? Honestly, I think it's all the settings and Log/Transfer type stuff that I need to learn, and then I'll be good to learn the rest as I go. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: So I think I found out something important in my understanding. I looked at all my footage in the Browser and scrolled right to find all this Frame Size, Compressor, and Pixel Aspect stuff. All the footage is 1280x1080 HD, and the Compressor says DVCPRO HD 1080p30. However, the Easy Setup menu and the Media Manager menu don't have this '1280x1080' setting. What am I supposed to do?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Newbie Questions
on Jun 26, 2011 at 10:53:03 am

Hi Henry,
720p30, means that the camera shoots 30 progressive pictures per second; with a size of 1280x720 pixels. 1080p30, would be the same, but for 1920x1080 pictures.

I would recommend you to think twice on starting to learn FC.7 now.
FC.7 won't be continued.
Probably you should start with FCX that has been just released.
And have a look to this:

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Newbie Questions
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:12:48 am

Drag a clip to the timeline. FCP will ask you if you want the timeline to match. It will do this only for the first clip. If you've shot everything with the same camera - this should work beautifully...

Unless you're working with a camera that shoots in h.264 - pretty much, you shouldn't edit that directly in FCP, but rather transcode to prores.

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved