FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting a self-contained QT file from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Bronz
Exporting a self-contained QT file from FCP
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:21:46 am

After exporting a project from FCP as a 'self-contained QuickTime file I am unable to play the project on my friends' brand new MacPro w/out FCP installed. How come I need FCP? Is there a way to do this export so that the project can be played on a Mac w/out FCP? Please advise. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Exporting a self-contained QT file from FCP
on Jun 22, 2011 at 3:55:47 am

Try Control-clicking on the file and Open With > Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:50:57 am

Which codec did you use for your quicktime?

If you've used ProRes, your friend will have to download that codec from the Apple web site in order to play it. Otherwise you need to remake the export using another codec.

Return to posts index

Dan Mansfield
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:04:20 pm

I agree with above. Depending on the codec of your footage, it may be something your friends computer doesn't have. In FCP, Export>Using Quicktime Conversion. From there you can make an h264 Quicktime or something else that should be easily playable on other comps.

Dan Mansfield
Point7West
http://www.point7west.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Bronz
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:51:10 pm

When I make it an H264 it has been impossible to create the same aspect ratio/image size. Either the frame size is correct and the image is distorted, or the image is correct and the frame size is off. The files were originally shot 1080i24p, using the HVX200, P2. The files in the capture scratch folder are saying that they are 1280x1080 (though they look 1920x1080), and that the codec is DVCPro HD. Confusing...
Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Dan Mansfield
on Jun 23, 2011 at 12:12:23 am

When you Export using Quicktime Conversion, select Quicktime as the format. In the Options tab, explicitly change the size to 1920 X 1080. Hope that helps.

In regards to the image size, what you are seeing is correct. Here is some info on DVCPro HD frame sizes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DV#DVCPRO_HD

Dan Mansfield
Point7West
http://www.point7west.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:16:02 am

Your original problem was that you exported the materials in a QuickTime codec that your friend didn't have. Certain codecs like XDCAM, DVCProHD and some others are not free - they require a license.

Instead of using QuickTime export or QuickTime conversion - just punch it over to compressor - use the Youtube preset (it'll produce a decent quality QuickTime file with the codec h.264)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]