FORUMS: list search recent posts

Toggling Visibility, Killing Time

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric St. John
Toggling Visibility, Killing Time
on Jun 20, 2011 at 4:39:06 pm

Hello. Over on the Apple page, it was suggested that when posting for help to be direct, succinct, and discreet. Makes sense to me.
Please indulge me this once; this isn't a new issue, yet I can find no solution for it and very few posts on it. The old, "rendered video will be lost" message is to what I refer. First, I'm in FCP (5.0.4) Studio 2 on a 2.3ghz dual core "Late '05" G5 PPC Leopard 10.5.8 desktop with plenty of RAM and storage.
I'm cutting a very simple music video, four clips of about six minutes. (one scene, two cameras at two different angles each, all sync'd with one audio track.)
In order to sync each individual clip I have to toggle its visibility and render it. No biggie.
But to cut each individual clip into desired transition points I have to re-render each time I toggle the visibility button. Isn't that a pain? (Premiere switches back and to easily.)
I'd read somewhere that one workaround is to "solo" the selection.
Either I don't understand how to solo it, or it doesn't work on my setup. I went to a drop down menu and chose solo selection b/c control, click offers no choice. Nothing happens.
Another workaround is "nesting" which I don't understand yet and haven't tried.
I'll get back to you on that.
Has anyone come up with an efficient workaround for this ridiculously time consuming and inefficient design flaw? Have Apple fixed this at all? This could be a selling point if I ever decide to allow myself to be forced out of this "legacy software" to the tune of about three or four grand if you know what I mean...

If I had a do-over, I'd learn to read.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Toggling Visibility, Killing Time
on Jun 20, 2011 at 7:10:39 pm

Not sure what you're doing that requires so much rendering. Do your clips match your sequence settings? Please give the exact item properties of the clips you're editing and the exact item properties of the sequence in which you're editing. Select a clip in the Browser and press Cmd-9 or Edit>Item Properties>Format. Select a sequence in the Browser and repeat.

All the best,

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jun 21, 2011 at 8:43:18 pm

I'd make a multiclip out of the takes once you've synced them up, then cut your video with that (not with takes layered on multiple video tracks).

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:56:40 pm

Not really a design flaw, just not the way that was intended to be used. I will sometimes disable a clip briefly in the timeline to check between alternates. Click on a clip and hit ctrl-B to toggle clip disable/enable. This results in minimal (or no) rendering weirdness.

It sounds like you really need to look up multicam and cut this video with a multiclip.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:18:56 am

On the bottom left corner of the timeline there is a little tiny speaker. Hit that.

This opens the timeline audio panel. There are buttons there for mute and solo - exactly what you're looking for.

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Eric St. John
on Jul 1, 2011 at 2:32:53 am

I tried to be as accurate as possible in describing my problem. It's simple, really. Anyone can do it if I can.
Set the sequence up for six tracks.
Import five video clips and one audio, a song produced in Logic.
One is a clip of random nothing and the rest are of the subject- one scene, a song, repeated and caught with two cameras.
Place them one at a time to the timeline in tracks v 1-5.
Clip 1, we'll call it, has no audio b/c I got rid of it immediately for lack of need.
Now sync them one at a time to the song audio placed in track a 1 and "clear" the audio from the camera mic for each corresponding video clip since it's not needed now.
Now toggle between each video tracks' visibility to see which section to put where "in sequence", not "in THE sequence. (I realize the the word sequence refers to the bit I'm working on, but in this instance, I mean literally a sequential placing pieces of these chopped up clips.)
For example, the subject looks at the camera and strums a chord.
Good. Cut that there and move that little piece to the open track.
Repeat until you have each original clip all cut in sections a few seconds long and each individual little piece put together in one long six minute sequence residing in track v six.
Delete everything except Audio One and Video Six.
That's a typical workflow for me editing a simple music video. It'd be the same if I'd used one camera and shot it four times at different angles, which I often do. I've done this in Magix. I've done this in Premiere.
FCP is the only other timeline app I know. And it's the only one that requires a dang render every time I touch it.
Other'n that, it's a dang "industry standard" so I have to at least own it in order to work anywhere...

If I had a do-over, I'd learn to read.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved