FORUMS: list search recent posts

Popping Reds

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
Popping Reds
on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:55:39 am

On my external monitor (LCD tv) the reds are popping how do you colour correct such a thing. I believe its because they are reds out of some kind of colour range? This was actually the red from FCP own colour picker.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
Re: Popping Reds
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:05:30 pm

If you're using the color picker I assume that means you have control over the color. In which case, bring down your brightness and saturation to legal limits.

You could also try dropping the broadcast safe filter on it - I think that affects saturation.

And it was hard for me to not simply reply "never a good idea with alcohol..."

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Final Cut Pro 7 Quicktime 7.6.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7.0.2 Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 18, 2011 at 1:17:32 am

Marc,

You really need an external broadcast monitor (not a standard TV set) to gauge the colors correctly; how do you know that the sats aren't just turned up on the external monitor?

Then, it needs to be calibrated. Google Calibrating NTSC monitors.

Last, you need to be able read your scopes to be able to correctly handle color evaluation.

----------------
But to actually reduce reds:

If you use the 3 way color corrector, there's a 'turn down' arrow at the bottom. It's a keyer. You use the eyedropper to pick the 'red' then adjust the saturation at the top of the effect (not in the bottom section) to reduce the red values (and only the red values) on the clip.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jun 19, 2011 at 10:18:47 pm

Hi thanks for the reply

I do have a 'proper' broadcast monitor along with a 40" TV the broadcast monitor is used just a an overall reference and the broadcast monitor used to check everything else. The original question was just asking how to tame the reds so I knew how to adjust them.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 20, 2011 at 1:57:08 pm

It's called a secondary color correction and you use the 3 way color corrector.

If you use the 3 way color corrector, there's a 'turn down' arrow at the bottom. It's a keyer. You use the eyedropper to pick the 'red' then adjust the saturation at the top of the effect (not in the bottom section) to reduce the red values (and only the red values) on the clip.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:29:09 pm

Yeah I did and have done that I was just wondering whether there were any other techniques out there to specifically do that kind of thing like put a certain filter on etc. I'll just keep doing it the way described.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]