FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please Judge My Cuts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Freeman
Please Judge My Cuts
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:59:40 am

This is just a quick example of what I do for an online site.

Please let me know what you think of my cuts.I'm basically putting a 4 to 5 audio fade out on the tail end of each cut and sometimes on the beginning.

I get this problem at :42 a lot. There are always a lot of "ums" etc and places where the producer ask me to cut off - right in the middle of a sentence and its hard to break it off right there with hardly and room or pause.

I wish I had a better methodology to keep the timing and pace of cuts the same every time such as there are 60 frames after each bite before each next cut.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Please Judge My Cuts
on Jun 14, 2011 at 8:47:55 pm

Hi Nick,
That's a good job.
Think that people won't be paying much attention to the cuts, but what the people are saying.
Think that unless there is something very wrong on the cut nobody will notice it.

When editing this kind of ITWs made on the fly, do your best, but be flexible. Don't break your head trying to make always a perfect cut because many times is simply impossible, and think that the noise, or the mess is absolutely natural; is the ambience. That doesn't have to look or sound like shot on a studio.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: Please Judge My Cuts
on Jun 22, 2011 at 1:04:46 pm

I think it looks fine. I do a lot of things like this too, in a much noisier and more unpredictable environment with less eloquent people, so I totally understand wanting to make things as perfect as possible. You just have to do your best. 2-3 frame audio dissolves help a lot in many cases, and without b-roll to cut to, you won't be able to get rid of ums midsentence. You could re-frame (blow up the video in the frame so it looks like a different camera) to cut around ums, but I find that to be a lot more jarring in a lot of cases because it is basically a jump cut. I do use it sometimes if the style of the piece allows but in these more straightforward interview segments, what you have going here is fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]