FORUMS: list search recent posts

stills error

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garner Capps
stills error
on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:12:05 pm

I have some stills that I want to drop into a 2048x1152, 23.98fps, ProRes4444 timeline in FCP7. Some have worked just fine, others give me the dreaded "out of memory" error when I try to render them.
From what I've seen the common causes of the "out of memory error" comes from
-lack of space on the drives housing caches/vaults/scratch disks
-media that is larger than the timeline settings
-media being CMYK or grayscale instead of RGB
-some kind of sequence, file, or render corruption.
Regarding space, I have the scratch set to a 1TB external drive with 350GB still open.
Regarding media size, stills are all different sizes and dimensions, so I resized them all so the larger side is no larger than 2000.
Regarding the stills colorspace and color profile, all are RGB and Cinema HD with the exception of one which is "camera RGB profile". I started with JPEGs, but have also used TIFs.
In the browser, the stills come up as 29.97fps, but I have mixed frame rates before in FCP7 and it has worked fine.
Some threads recommend changing the sequence setting codec to ProRes. Some have recommended changing it out of ProRes and then changing it back.
I'm not a natural technophile, so I am willing to bet the solution is sitting right under my nose.
Any ideas on how to beat this?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: stills error
on Jun 10, 2011 at 1:48:15 am

What are the specs of the photos that are giving you the "Out of Memory"? FCP does best with PNGS. It doesn't like TIFF or very large image resolutions.

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 10, 2011 at 2:07:02 am

TIFFs are fine (and easier that PNG as less compression)

FCP's issue is with stills over 4,000 pixels... it freaks out

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Garner Capps
on Jun 10, 2011 at 4:58:14 pm

I'm using more than 20 images of all different sizes, but the four TIFs that were giving me problems were 1450x1161, 2000x1427, 2000x1450 and 2000x1244.
Here's the thing- I have used other TIFs and JPEGs of a similar size with a fair amount of keyframing and filtering, and though they take forever to render, they've worked just fine.
I suppose I should just work them in Motion...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]