FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP/Color workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Edds
FCP/Color workflow
on May 31, 2011 at 12:53:40 pm

I need to take 40 apple pro res 422 clips on the timeline, color correct, and end up with 40 color corrected clips with audio for a client. What is the best workflow for this?

When I open the rendered files from color in "color scratch" they have no audio. Which tells me I need to send the color project back to FCP. Now how would I export the 40 color correct clips on the timeline out as 40 individual files? I hope not one at a time. Thanks.

MBP I7 2.66, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, FCS 3, OS 10.6.4, 27in Apple Cinema display, G-Raid 4TB Raid 0, Sonnet Tempo Express Card

ExtremeStorms.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: FCP/Color workflow
on May 31, 2011 at 1:02:11 pm

[Jim Edds] "When I open the rendered files from color in "color scratch" they have no audio. Which tells me I need to send the color project back to FCP. Now how would I export the 40 color correct clips on the timeline out as 40 individual files? I hope not one at a time. Thanks."

Yep, 40 individual clips. Color only renders the video. When it sends the files back to FCP, it just re-aligns them with the audio from the original clips. If your client is requiring audio to be married to the clips, looks like you'll be exporting 40 individual clips from FCP.

If they have FCP you can send them the FCP project and they can simply open the (from Color) timeline and have the video / audio married up.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 31, 2011 at 1:06:50 pm

Jim,

THis is what I would do.

I would have a master sequence with audio and video with the fourty clips laid out with one second slugs in between.

Send the sequence to Color and do the color correction.
Send the sequnce back to FCP (the audio will automatically relink.

create foury sequences.

Etc.

Copy paste the clips from the color corrected timeline into their respective sequences.

Export the 40 sequences to Compressor and apply whatever compression/ delivery the client needs.

This would be the fastest way to do the correction and keep the audio in sync.

David

Why not do it today?

Return to posts index

Jim Edds
on May 31, 2011 at 2:32:54 pm

I can export the 40 sequences one time to compressor or do I have to do 40 exports one at a time into compressor (the only way I know how)?

I think I figured it out: highlight all the sequences in the bin and then export to compressor. Very cool, thanks.

MBP I7 2.66, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, FCS 3, OS 10.6.4, 27in Apple Cinema display, G-Raid 4TB Raid 0, Sonnet Tempo Express Card

ExtremeStorms.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 31, 2011 at 3:24:25 pm

Take a look at this great video tutorial by Walter on Preparing your sequences to go from FCP to color.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Jim Edds
on May 31, 2011 at 11:28:38 pm

excellent tutorial. I've got the workflow down now. I'm new to color and it's amazing what it can do. Thanks for the help Walter, David, and Stephen.

ExtremeStorms.com

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 1, 2011 at 5:50:12 am

[Jim Edds] " can export the 40 sequences one time to compressor or do I have to do 40 exports one at a time into compressor (the only way I know how)?"

I am pretty certain you could just select all the sequences and send them to compressor. Apply the preset you want and let the machine do it's thing after you submit the job.

David

Why not do it today?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]