FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnecting Media and Scratch Disc

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Romeo Rubio
Reconnecting Media and Scratch Disc
on May 31, 2011 at 3:53:49 am

When you create a new clip, like when you make a new multiclip or you swap out the audio of a video and make it a new clip, is that "new" media located somewhere and need to be found when moving media around and reconnecting? Or do you just need to find the initial media you used to create the new clip (like the two videos used in the multiclip, or the video and audio in the swapped audio clip)?

This is unrelated... I am currently editing on a 2010 iMac, using a 1TB Lacie external for scratch and holding the media. That is pretty much almost full and I also don't have my internal and external backed up. I know it's bad. What's the best way I can deal with these two issues without breaking the bank? I'd like to keep it under $200. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: Reconnecting Media and Scratch Disc
on May 31, 2011 at 7:44:56 am

Until you export media off fcp all clips you use within project belong to it and no additional files, you should care about, are being created. Take a look at master clip, affiliated clips and sub-clips topics in manual. It'll help.
About External/Internal HDD: Don't forget to purge outdated files from time to time because no matter what size HDD you have it tends to fill up pretty soon.

Free-lance fcp editor in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Romeo Rubio
on Jun 1, 2011 at 7:05:25 am

Thanks Everest,

I've been reading about it in the manual. As for the storage issue, I'm thinking of getting OWC Elite Pro Enclosure and buying a relatively cheap 2tb drive (WD Green) to back up the internal (500gigs), and Lacie (1tb). Then I guess I'll get another firewire drive when the Lacie fills up. Someone is offering me a used 2tb G-raid for $100. Is this a good idea for the next media/scratch drive? The issue of backing up this new drive comes up though...

I try to keep on top of deleting unneeded things. How do most people archive projects they have finished with? I'm guessing a tape format, but I don't have that luxury so they just sit in the drive.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Jun 1, 2011 at 7:48:38 am

On Archiving: Unless you have large production to fill airwaves 24/7 I can't see any reason to keep tracks of media you happened to use along the way. In my case, as the project is being wrapped and client approves cut I mark project w/ all media for deletion. FIFO principle is working fine. If I see that some footage have potential to be recycled on further projects I put it aside. The problem with archive rests not on the sheer capacity of HDDs but rather on management system because what good to have something if you're not mindful of it or lack proper tools to retrieve it on trigger-alert notice.

Free-lance fcp editor in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: connecting Media and Scratch Disc
on Jun 1, 2011 at 11:45:25 am

Romeo,

Rather than wasting your money on these expensive pre-built single drive enclosures, spend a couple of dollars more at OWC and get yourself a 4-bay enclosure. You can fill it with very good, but inexpensive SATA drives as needed.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Romeo Rubio
Re: connecting Media and Scratch Disc
on Jun 1, 2011 at 9:42:21 pm

David for the long run, I know it would be best to get a 4 bay enclosure from owc, but as of now my budget is around $200 and the enclosure by itself is $300. I just need a decent storage setup to hold me off for a while.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]